Pregnancy is a time for caution, and the food is probably the most scrutinized item ever! If you are pregnant and reading the labels on everything you eat or drink, or you love flounder and want to know whether it’s safe for you, read our post. Here, we look at whether it is safe to continue eating flounder during pregnancy.
What Is Flounder?
Flounder is a type of fish that belongs to the flatfish species. The flounder is mostly found at the bottom of the ocean. Flounder is the companion of Ariel, from the ‘Little Mermaid’ (1).
Is It Safe To Eat Flounder While Pregnant?
While you are pregnant, it is important to know which fish is safe to eat and which one you should avoid. Many fish contain mercury, which is not good for pregnant women. It can lead to serious health issues for you and your unborn baby. But on the other hand, fish is good for the health of your heart as well as that of your baby.
It can be quite difficult to understand whether or not you can safely eat fi
[ Read: Eating Seafood During Pregnancy ]
In the year 2014, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Environmental Protection Agency jointly released a statement that encouraged pregnant women to eat more fish. According to them, while you are pregnant, you should have at least 8 to 12 ounces of low-mercury fish every week (2).
Flounder falls under the safe fish category, which means you can eat it even while you are pregnant. It is important to check with your doctor who will guide you best, based on your health.
[ Read: Is It Safe To Consume Tuna During Pregnancy ]
Health Benefits Of Eating Flounder While Pregnant:
Flounder contains a high amount of nutrients that will provide you and your unborn baby with a host of health benefits. Here are some health benefits that eating the fish will fill you up with:
- Flounder is a rich source of dietary protein, which is extremely important for your unborn baby’s growth and development. It also helps to repair and maintain skin, organ and muscle tissue.
- The omega-3 fatty acid in flounder reduces the triglyceride levels that help to lower your chances of heart disease.
- It is also a good source of B vitamins and vitamin D.
[ Read: Ways To Prevent Fish Allergy During Pregnancy ]
Safety Concerns For Eating Flounder During Pregnancy:
Flounder has a small amount of mercury in it, which can be a cause of concern if you have large quantities of it. Check with your doctor and follow the recommended dietary guidance.
The suggested amount for consumption of fish that contains low amounts of mercury is not more than 8 to 12 ounces a week.
Flounder In Lemon Butter Sauce Recipe:
Now that you know flounder is safe to eat during pregnancy, have a look at this delicious recipe here:
You Will Need:
- Fresh flounder fillet
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼thtsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- Juice of a lemon
- 2 tbsp. chopped herbs – basil and parsley
- Season the fillet with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a skillet. In the meanwhile, sprinkle flour over the fillet and cook in the oil for about two minutes. Turn to cook both sides.
- Add butter on the fillet and let it stand in the heat until the butter melts. Cook for another two minutes.
- Transfer the fillet to a plate and add the lemon juice. Garnish with herbs.
[ Read: Advantages of Consuming Salmon During Pregnancy ]
While eating flounder when pregnant is considered safe, make sure you do so only after consulting your doctor.
Did you eat flounder while you were pregnant? What was your doctor’s advice? Do tell us below.
- Is It Safe To Eat Calamari During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Consume Oysters During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Prawns During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Shrimp During Pregnancy?