Are you expecting and affected by an insect bite? Do you want to treat the irritation, but are unsure about how it will harm your baby? If you said yes, you should consider reading our post. Pregnant females are prone to insect bites. Pregnant women possess more than average body temperature that makes them more attractive to the insects than normal people. Read on to know how can you treat insect bite during pregnancy.
Causes Of Insect Bites During Pregnancy:
Several insects can bite during pregnancy. Also, the above-average body temperature of the pregnant woman is the main reason that attracts insects. Here are some prominent insects that bite during pregnancy.
- Honeybees and bumblebees
- Fire ants
- Sand flies, horse flies, and deer flies
- Bedbugs (1)
[ Read: Is It Safe To Use Insect Repellent During Pregnancy ]
Symptoms Of Insect Bites During Pregnancy:
Symptoms of insect bites while pregnant can vary from mild to severe. Here is a list of sympto
- Rash or reddening of skin
- Swelling in a particular area or expanding throughout the body
- Numbness in the bitten area
- Heat on or around the bitten area
- Muscle spasm
- Difficulty in breathing
- Nausea or vomiting
- Increased heartbeat
- Loss of consciousness (2)
[ Read: Symptoms Of Dengue During Pregnancy ]
Diagnosing Insect Bites During Pregnancy:
If you observe any of the above symptoms while expecting, consult your doctor to prevent any aggravation. Since the symptoms of insect bites are quite apparent, the doctor can immediately diagnose the cause and begin the right line of treatment.
Treating Insect Bites When Pregnant:
Early and appropriate line of treatment can help mitigate the symptoms and effects of insect bites when pregnant.
1. Apply Cold Pack:
Wash the bite area with water. Apply an ice pack to reduce the swelling and pain during pregnancy. Avoid rubbing and scratching the affected skin area since it will only aggravate the condition (3).
2. Use Anti-Itch Creams:
You can also use anti-itch creams to get relief from the itching sensation, but consult your doctor about which creams would be safe to use topically. Use the recommended creams in prescribed quantities. Topical application of Aloe Vera gel can help minimize the swelling. However, remove it in some time since prolonged application can make you susceptible to allergic reactions. If the doctor suggests pain relievers or antihistamines to treat severe symptoms of insect bites, make sure you use them as directed so that your unborn doesn’t suffer any adverse effects (4).
[ Read: Tips To Prevent Hives During Pregnancy ]
3. First Aid And CPR:
In severe cases of insect bites, use first aid and call paramedics to treat your condition. The doctor may recommend Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) if you find it difficult to breathe properly. Doctors treat patients with spider and scorpion bites in an emergency room since the bites have severe adverse effects (5).
Preventing Insect Bites During Pregnancy:
With certain preventive measures, it is possible to protect yourself from insect bites while expecting. Here is a list of prevention tips to prevent insect bites in pregnancy.
- Apply an insect repellent to your exposed skin areas only as per the instructions on the packet.
- Keep foods and drinks covered while eating or drinking since bees and wasps can get in the bottles and packets.
- Wear long-sleeved clothes and pants to safeguard your skin from insect bites.
- Avoid using products with strong scents, such as deodorants, soaps, and shampoos, since the scent can attract insects.
- Avoid camping near water bodies, such as ponds, lakes, and swamps (6).
[ Read: Malaria During Pregnancy ]
Did you suffer from an insect bite during pregnancy? What did you do to treat it effectively yet safely? Share your invaluable experience with other expecting mothers. Leave a comment below.
- Jaundice During Pregnancy – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- 8 Effective Tips To Cure Flu During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Take Tamiflu During Pregnancy?
- 10 Effective Treatments To Cure IBS Symptoms During Pregnancy