Are you looking forward to the arrival of your little bundle of joy soon? Are you a bundle of nerves as your due date is around the corner? Well, if you are experiencing mixed emotions at the thought of giving birth soon, reading this post is a good idea.
Yes, the birth of a child remains a very important stage in a woman’s life for sure. However, it is a painful process riddled with complications. To ease the pain and avert health complications related to childbirth, doctors often advise a cesarean delivery. But, if you are not game for surgery, then the Lamaze method of childbirth may appeal to you. Do you know it can help alleviate pain and avert excessive blood loss? Are you keen to know more about the Lamaze method? Go ahead and check out this article!
Facts On Lamaze Method Of Childbirth:
Named after Dr. Fernand Lamaze, a noted French physician, the Lamaze method is a popular childbirth preparation technique. Developed in the 1950s, the popularity of this method ha
The method involves the use of controlled breathing techniques to mitigate the pain associated with labor. However, like any medical method, its scope has become widened with time. The Lamaze International says its classes not only help women cope with childbirth-related pains but also prepare their bodies better for the process of natural delivery. Breathing is only a part of the method.
While the Lamaze philosophy focuses on natural and healthy birth sans routine medical interventions, it also educates pregnant women about necessary interventions. It explains how certain situations may demand the use of medication or even surgical assistance. Both the pregnant woman and her partner can enroll for the class.
[ Read: The Bradley Method Of Childbirth ]
Details Of A Lamaze Class:
A Lamaze class may help a pregnant woman in the following ways:
- Helps her watch videos of real birth and normal labor.
- Helps focus on breathing techniques to facilitate a smooth labor.
- Teaches ways to remain active while delivering.
- Helps plan natural strategies and practice relaxation techniques.
- Provides tips for the spouse to encourage and support the pregnant woman through labor.
- Educates about complications that may appear during childbirth and interventions which may be necessary at that time.
- Provides tips on post birth chores like breastfeeding.
- Helps establish initial communication with the infant.
The venue of Lamaze class can be a doctor’s office or an education room at the hospital.
The Breathing Technique:
A special breathing technique is the quintessence of the Lamaze method. You need to use deep “cleansing” breath followed by different types of exhalations. The idea is to shift your focus from the labor pain.
[ Read: How To Induce Labour Pain Naturally ]
Pros And Cons Of The Lamaze Method:
While the Lamaze birth method enjoys huge popularity, it has a few drawbacks too. To be on the safe side, you need to learn about both the pros and cons of the process so that you can take an informed decision.
Advantages Of Lamaze Method:
1. It supports natural childbirth and does not rely on the usage of drugs. Nowadays, Lamaze classes include psychological counseling, which helps women understand the birthing process better and avoid unnecessary stress.
2. It helps women cope with anxiety and fear related to childbirth.
3. It involves the partners to support pregnant women emotionally through labor. It helps boost women to perform better during childbirth.
[ Read: Positions To Help You Focus During Labor ]
DisadvantagesOf Lamaze Method:
1. Even when you opt for Lamaze classes and try your level best, it is not possible to eradicate pain. Labor induced pain is an integral part of the process of natural childbirth.
2. The effects on pain is minimal, say the proponents of the method. The benefits are psychological and not physiological.
3. The Lamaze method needs lots of patience and practice, which may not be possible for all pregnant women.
4. The classes are costly, and so not everyone can afford them.
Consult your doctor if you are anxious about labor pain and find out more about the Lamaze method.
Did you try the Lamaze method to give birth? Did it reduce your labor pain? Please share your experience and advice with us.
- 4 Essential Tips To Help You Prepare For A Home Birth
- 5 Effective Exercises To Induce Labour Naturally
- 10 Natural Ways To Relieve Pain During Labor
- 8 Best Pain Management Techniques During Labor