You should be just out of the labor room. Are you already checking out the nearest postnatal classes in town? It is natural for you to feel the need of getting back to shape once you have delivered. But make sure you are fully ready for this by reading more about postnatal exercises.
What Are Postpartum Exercises?
Exercises which specifically cater to women after delivery refer to postnatal exercises. They try to restore maximum overall health after delivery by concentrating on pelvic floor toning. Enough emphasis is given to the abdominal muscles, posture realignment, strengthening of the upper back as well as lower extremities. It will help to increase strength and circulation. (1)
Practicing Exercise After Cesarean:
It is equally important for women after their C-section to get back to their fitness regime after childbirth. Breathing exercises will be the first on the list of physical rehabilitation steps for these women. It will help the lungs to ventilate totally an
[ Read: When To Start Exercise After C Section Delivery ]
Benefits Of Postnatal Exercises:
Check out doing exercise after pregnancy can help you in becoming fit as a fiddle after that intensive labor.
1. Postnatal pelvic floor exercises can reduce the incidence of urinary incontinence.
2. Results indicate women who find pleasure in doing post birth exercises are less likely to develop from baby blues and postpartum depression.It helps improve posture.
3. One of the best ways to lose your pregnancy weight-gain, exercises after pregnancy helps to regain your body tone and figure.
4. Specified exercises help strengthen abdominal muscles and pelvic floor.
5. It increases energy levels and blood circulation.
6. They help in healing traumatized tissues and boosts mental health.
When To Exercise After Delivery?
You will not be encouraged to exercise before the first postnatal examination at six weeks. However, you can continue with your gentle exercises suggested by the obstetric physiotherapist soon after delivery. You should stay away from floor exercises until it is confirmed that there is no incidence of separation of abdominal muscles.For at least six months’ time, avoid sit ups and stomach crunches and lifting both legs straight upwards. (3)
Complications Of Exercising In Immediate Postnatal Period:
If you are in a hurry to join one of those fitness classes soon after delivery, experts say don’t rush. There are number of health pointers which indicate you are not fully healed to move your body. If you suffer from any of the following disorders, wait until you are fully recovered to start exercising.
- Mastitis- The inflammation of the breast tissue refers to mastitis. Women are not advised to do exercise if they suffer from Mastitis and has to consult a doctor immediately.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome- A compression of the median nerve in the wrist due to fluid retention is Carpal Tunnel syndrome. Common in the breastfeeding, it would be better for women with CTS to return to exercises after weaning.
- Diastasis Recti- A separation of the recti sheaths in the late pregnancy due to the weight of the abdomen is diastasis recti. If you have this disorder, it will be tough for you to do sit ups, and you may even develop backache due to the excessive pressure on vertebrae and intervertebral discs.
- Infection- The stitches in both normal delivery and cesarean can have infections. It is better to avoid doing exercises if you have an infection as it is likely that the incision sites misalign.
[ Read: Kegel Exercises After Birth ]