Did you recently undergo a cesarean delivery and are clueless about the right diet that will help you regain your strength and health? Or is your doctor suggesting you to opt for a cesarean delivery and you want to know how you can ensure you eat right to recuperate from the surgery soon? Well, if you can relate to any of the above situations reading this post is a good idea!
A nutritious diet after c section is critical to the health of both the mother and the newborn. Want to know what to eat after cesarean delivery and some handy diet tips that can help you hit the road to recovery soon after a c-section? Read on!
Importance Of A Healthy Diet After Cesarean Delivery:
A nutritious diet is a must-have to increase the pace of your recovery. It will also help you nurse your baby better and provide all the necessary nutrients to your precious little one.
During a cesarean delivery, your surgeon will make an incision through the walls of your abdomen and your uterus. The ri
A balanced diet means consuming a healthy mix of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy products and lean proteins. Junk or processed food is a strict no-no when you are trying to recover from a cesarean delivery, especially as you will not be able to exercise for the first few months.
[ Read: Foods to Include in Diet After Delivery ]
Make sure you seek your doctor’s advice before planning your post-cesarean diet. She may have earlier advised you to avoid adding certain foods to your pregnancy diet. Now, you may need to take some additional foods that will help you regain your health and strength. Here is a list of foods to eat after c section:
1. Increase Your Fluid Intake:
Whether you feel thirsty or not, it is important to have a lot of liquids once you have a cesarean.
- As you will also be breastfeeding your newborn, your body will have high chances of suffering from dehydration. Drinking enough water and fluids will ensure you are hydrated and do not feel weak.
- You can sip on anything refreshing and healthy like water, fresh fruit juice, lemonade, buttermilk, tender coconut water, etc.
- Constipation is a common problem that most new mothers face in the first few weeks after having a baby. Drinking enough water and liquids will make sure that your bowel movements are regular and smooth.
- Drinking lots of water will help to flush out all the toxins from your body.
[ Read: Foods To Avoid While Breastfeeding ]
2. Add Foods That Contain Vitamin C:
It is important to include as many fresh sources of vitamins and iron in your post-cesarean diet as possible. 
- Vitamin C will help heal your body from any wound or scar. It will also ward off the chances of an infection.
- The C vitamin will also help your body to repair cartilage and help in the formation of blood vessels.
- Make sure to include vitamin C in your regular diet, as it will also protect you from common cold and cough. Vitamin C helps prevent arthritis and other joint pain, which are common side effects of a cesarean delivery.
3. Have An Iron-Rich Diet:
During a cesarean delivery, your body will suffer from a major blood loss.
- Having an iron-rich diet will help the body produce hemoglobin and prevent anemia.
- Once you have a cesarean delivery, your body’s immune system is weak and you face an increased risk of contracting infections. Make sure you add lots of iron-rich foods to your post-natal diet as it will help to strengthen your immune system and keep diseases at bay.
[ Read: Bleeding After C Section Delivery ]
4. Include Lean Protein In Your Meal Plans:
Protein will form a major part of your healthy diet when you are trying to recover from a cesarean delivery. 
- A diet rich in proteins will act as a building block for your body. It will help to repair and build tissues, muscles, cartilage, blood vessels and skin.
- Lean protein is good for your heart. It will also keep your cholesterol levels in check.
- Adding lean protein to your diet will also help regulate your blood pressure.
Things To Remember:
Follow these basic tips to ensure you get the best out of what you eat:
- Make sure you spread out your meals through the day and do not concentrate on consuming three heavy meals. Try and have at least five to six small meals through the day.
- Have your meals at a gap of about two hours. In case you feel hungry earlier, snack on some fruits or nuts.
- Avoid gulping down your food and instead take some time to chew it slowly. It may be difficult for you to have a relaxed meal while having a newborn around, you can try and ask your partner or a family member to help look after your baby while you eat your food.
- With a baby in the house, you will never get enough sleep, but try and get as much rest as you can. A good night’s sleep will help your body repair and heal better.
- Try to eat as many home cooked meals as you can and include lots of fresh ingredients.
Now you know the importance of diet after cesarean delivery. Remember, a nutritious diet can help you recuperate from ade c-section so that you can spend time bonding with your little darling soon.
What was your diet plan post-cesarean? Do share it with other mommies here.
- How Soon Can I Get Pregnant After Having A C Section?
- Yoga After A C – Section
- 7 Most Common Body Changes You Undergo Post Pregnancy