Are you a new mom who loves bonding with your little one while nursing him? Are you worried about your baby’s health because you are suffering from a sore throat? If yes, then please go through the post below to know if breastfeeding while suffering from a sore throat is a safe bet or not. Also, find some easy home remedies that will alleviate your discomfort of sore throat while breastfeeding.
What Is A Sore Throat?
A sore throat is a pain or irritation in the throat that increases with swallowing.
What Causes A Sore Throat?
The main causes of soreness in throat are:
1. Viral Infections:
Soreness of throat is commonly a sign of viral infections like influenza and the common cold. However, it may also be due to viral diseases like mononucleosis, chicken pox, measles, etc.
2. Bacterial Infections:
Soreness of throat may be a sign of infection spread by the Streptococcus pyogenes, or group A streptococcus. It can also be a symptom of other bacterial diseases like Whooping
[ Read: Symptoms Of Strep Throat While Breastfeeding ]
Other causes of sore throat include:
- Exposure to irritants
- Muscle strain
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), etc. (1)
What Are The Symptoms Of A Sore Throat?
The signs of soreness in throat include the following:
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Dryness in throat
- Swollen glands in your neck or jaw
- Swollen and red tonsils
- White patches of pus on your tonsils
- Hoarseness of voice
You may also suffer from other symptoms like:
- Runny nose
- Body aches
- Nausea or vomiting (2)
[ Read: Home Remedies For Nausea While Breastfeeding ]
How To Diagnose A Sore Throat?
The doctor may take the following steps to diagnose a sore throat:
- He may perform a physical examination of your throat and nasal and ear passages. He may look for signs of swollen glands in the neck or jaw.
- He may recommend you to undergo a throat swab, complete blood count, and allergy tests to identify the exact cause of the soreness (3).
[ Read: Sinus Infection While Breastfeeding ]
What Is The Treatment For A Sore Throat While Breastfeeding?
The course of treatment that your doctor prescribes will depend on the cause of the soreness in your throat. Please inform your doctor that you are breastfeeding your little one so that he can advise an apt treatment and safe medications for you. Some of the common treatments for a sore throat while nursing include the following:
- The doctor may prescribe antibiotics for you if you are suffering from a bacterial infection. Remember to follow his instructions strictly regarding dosage strictly to ensure a speedy recovery and safeguarding your baby from a potential infection. Penicillin is a safe medication for lactating mothers to cure a strep throat (4).
- He may prescribe analgesic drugs like Ibuprofen or acetaminophen to provide relief from pain and fever.
- He may advise you antihistamines if you are suffering from an allergy.
You may require a more intensive treatment if you are suffering from a severe disease.
In case, you are down with a sore throat due to a viral infection, you may not need any medical intervention as the symptoms will disappear automatically after five to seven days.
Tips For A Breastfeeding Mother Suffering From A Sore Throat:
Suffering from a sore throat while breastfeeding newborn, may not directly affect your baby. However, you must take the following preventive steps to prevent passing on the infection to your little one:
- Wash your hands or use a hand sanitizer before and after you handle your baby.
- Cover your mouth if you are coughing and sneezing also.
- Avoid visiting places that are high on allergens like pollens, dust, pollution, etc.
- Use an air humidifier to prevent dry air that may be aggravating the soreness in your throat.
- Ventilate your home well to keep it dust and smoke-free.
- Sleep well and practice voice rest to reduce your discomfort.
- Avoid sharing utensils with your baby until you recover completely.
- You can even consider wearing a filtering mask while nursing your little one.
What Are The Home Remedies To Treat A Sore Throat?
It is always beneficial to go the natural way in treating any illness. You should avoid medicines as far as possible if you are feeding your sweetie. Follow these simple sore throat remedies while breastfeeding that help:
1. Gargle Regularly:
It’s an age-old formula to get rid of any throat infection. Take a glass of lukewarm water and add a pinch of salt to it. Gargle for a few days to bid a goodbye to your discomfort.
2. Increase Your Intake Of Warm Fluids:
Have warm drinks or soups if you have a sore throat. It will not only add to your nutritional intake as a breastfeeding mother and boost the immunity of your precious baby but will also help reduce the itchiness and irritation in your throat.
3. Sip On Ginger Tea:
Nothing can beat the soothing effects of a hot cup of ginger tea if you are suffering from a sore throat. The antibacterial properties of ginger will help alleviate the soreness in your throat.
[ Read: Benefits Of Ginger Tea While Breastfeeding ]
Depending on the severity of your condition, your doctor is the best person to guide you whether it is safe to continue breastfeeding your baby or stopping it temporarily.
Did you also suffer from a sore throat while you were a lactating mother? What treatment did the doctor advise? Please share your experience and advice with other moms here.
- Is It Safe To Eat Spicy Food During Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe For A Breastfeeding Mom To Eat Honey?
- 5 Useful Tips To Make Fasting Easier While Breastfeeding
- Dehydration While Breastfeeding – 4 Causes, 7 Symptoms & 4 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of