Don’t we remember those days when we learned how to ride a cycle from our parents? Those sunny days, ride with friends, racing and much more! Now it is time for you to do the same for your kids. Apart from teaching them the basics of how to ride a bicycle it is also important to educate some bicycle safety rules for kids.
Bicycle riding is lots of fun! The outdoor activity can also help your kid stay fit. Do you want to know some tips to teach your kids how to ride a bicycle safely so that they can ride confidently for life? Read on!
How Should Your Kids Start Their Bicycle Training?
Here are a few things to keep in mind while teaching your kids how to ride a bicycle:
- The kids must initially learn to ride a bicycle at parks or driveways that are obstacle-free.
- Then they can venture out of the park and use walkways, pave-ways, and sidewalks. It will help them notice and avert the potholes, poles, benches, etc. Remember, most of the accidents happen when there is a collisi
- Slowly your kids can start riding on the streets and navigating through the traffic.
[ Read: ATV Safety Tips For Kids ]
Why Is Bicycle Safety For Kids Crucial?
A lot of kids meet with accidents and suffer serious head injuries while biking. It is important to teach your kids bicycle safety to ensure that they remain safe while having some fun in the sun.
[ Read: General Safety Rules For Kids ]
Do Kids Need Any Bicycle Safety Gears?
Wearing a helmet is one of the most important cycle safety for kids. It can help safeguard them from a potential brain and facial injury during a fall. Make sure that your kids wear a helmet even when they are going for a short ride. Bicycling gloves are also an important protective gear that your kids can use while riding a bicycle. Here are a few tips for wearing the helmet right:
- Make sure the helmets fit your kids well, they should not be too small or too big.
- Kids should never wear a hat below the helmet.
- Seek the help of a salesperson at the bike store to get your kids the perfect helmets. Make sure the helmets meet the safety standards.
- Make sure your kids wear the helmets at the right level and cover their forehead.
- Teach them how to fasten the straps on the helmet securely so that it does not move right and left (1).
- Many bike helmets are lightweight and come in cool colors these days. If your kids do not like wearing the helmets encourage them to personalize the same with some cool stickers especially reflective ones and wear them.
- Always buy a new helmet for your kids after a major fall.
[ Read: Rock Climbing Safety Tips For Kids ]
Bicycle Safety Rules For Kids:
Here are a few rules your kids can follow to ride the bicycle safely on the roads:
- Teach your kids always to ride on the right side of the road.
- Kids should let the traffic halt before they try crossing the road.
- Your kids should avoid cycling in the dark. Make sure their bikes have lights and reflectors. While riding during the day too they should wear bright clothes.
- Kids should always ride with the traffic on their road and learn brake management.
- They should always keep one hand on the handlebar.
- You should teach your kids to obey the traffic rules strictly and stop for all the lights (2).
- Supervise your kids until you are sure that they are responsible enough to ride independently.
[ Read: Important Road Safety Rules For Kids ]
Bicycle riding is one of the most exciting activities for kids. Sometimes, they might just forget the traffic rules and ride recklessly. As parents, it is important to stay alert, teach bicycle safety rules for children, and eventually let them enjoy a ride independently. Remember, teaching your kids how to ride a bicycle is a great opportunity to bond and create wonderful childhood memories with them.
How did you teach your kid to ride a bicycle safely? Share your tips and advice with other moms here.
- 6 Safety Rules For Your Kid At School
- Sun Safety For Your Kids – Everything You Need To Know
- 10 Useful Tips To Make Air Travel With Your Kids Easier
- Kitchen Safety For Kids – Everything You Need To Know