Hindu mythology, like most world mythology, has a lot of gods and goddesses in the shape of animals. Lord Ganesha is a Hindu god who is a favorite of all kids as they love him for his unique elephant head.
Ganesha sports a trunk, a pot belly and four arms. His divine vehicle is, surprisingly, a mouse! If your kid loves hearing about animal gods, tell him the Lord Ganesha story.
Who Is Lord Ganesha?
Ganesha is the first son of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati. He is considered as the “First God” in Hindu mythology.
- The name of Ganesha is derived from two different Sanskrit words: “isha”, meaning Lord and “gana” meaning group. Hence, Ganesha is considered as the God of masses.
- Ganesha can be spotted in different postures such as lying, enjoying a candy, dancing or riding on a mouse.
- This explains why kids are fascinated by Lord Ganesh and love to hear various stories about him.
[ Read : Krishna Stories For Kids ]
Lord Ganesha Story – The Best 6 Stories For Kids:
Following are some of the interesting stories of Lord Ganesha for kids. We hope you have a good time with your kids when you tell them these stories.
1. Lord Ganesha And River Kaveri:
This story of Lord Ganesha is a favorite one among kids. Once upon a time, Sage Agastya sought the blessings of Lord Brahma and Shiva.
- The sage wished to create flowing river in a suitable location to offer water to the southern lands. The Gods, listening to his prayers, had his kamandalu filled with sacred water.
- The Sage then reached the Coorg Mountains. On his way, he spotted a small boy and requested him to take good care of his pot containing water as he needed to go to toilet.
- The small boy was none other than Ganesha and he placed the small pot on the ground as he felt that location was perfect for a river.
- Then a crow landed on this pot and Sage Agastya shooed off the bird. The crow flew off tipping the pot to the ground and spilled off some water.
- This water formed River Kaveri and is considered as a sacred river.
Every action happens for a good cause. So do not be worried even if something bad happens in your life, eventually there will be a good ending.
2. Lord Ganesha And Kubera:
Kubera, God of Wealth, was quite proud of the fact that he was the richest God. One day, he held a lavish dinner and invited many popular guests, among them were Lord Shiva and Parvati.
- As the Divine couple could not attend the dinner, they sent their son, Ganesha who was a small child.
- Ganesha began to devour all the food and soon there was no food available in the venue.
- He then began to eat all the vessels, dishes, furniture and other things at Alakapuri, Kubera’s city.
- Ganesha then proceeded to swallow the host of the dinner and the terrified Kubera ran to Lord Shiva’s abode and sought his help.
- Lord Shiva handed a cup of roasted cereals to Ganesha and his hunger for food ceased immediately.
- Lord Kubera realized his mistake and sought forgiveness for his pride.
Do not be proud of what you possess. Instead, concentrate on how you can make use of your possession for good things.
[ Read : Panchatantra Stories ]
3. Lord Ganesha And Goddess Parvati:
This Lord Ganesha story for kids would teach them that they have to take care of animals in a gentle way.
- One day child Ganesha was playing with a cat and was tormenting the animal by pulling his tail and throwing him on the ground.
- He left the cat and went to Mount Kailash to meet his mother Goddess Parvati.
- He was shocked to see her wounded.
- When he asked her about it, his mother replied that it was his action that caused the wound. As she was playing with him as a cat.
- She also said that it is unfair to treat animals cruelly and Ganesha was sorry for injuring the cat.
Animals have every right to live in this world, just as humans do. So do not cause any injury or ill treat any animal.