Is your teen involved in a lot of physical activities? Are you planning to get him a protein shake to help him maintain his energy levels? Well, if you are clueless about the importance of protein shakes for growing teenagers reading this post is a good idea.
Protein shakes are a rage amongst hardcore sports enthusiasts as well as growing teens. But should you let your teen have protein shakes or is it better to give them a miss? Read on to know all about protein shakes for teens and whether it is good for them.
What Is A Protein Shake?
A balanced diet should provide your teen with the adequate dose of protein. For those who exercise more or indulge in strenuous physical activities, the protein requirement can be a little high. A protein shake can be an additional dietary supplement for such fitness fans.
A protein shake can be a hundred percent protein concentrate or a carbohydrate supplement that has little protein and fat. These are available as readymade drinks or a
[ Read: High Protein Foods For Teenagers ]
Are Protein Shakes For Teens Safe?
In most cases, your teen will get the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) of protein from his daily meals. Unless your teen is extremely active and takes part in a lot of physical activities, giving him a protein shake is not necessary(2).
[ Read: Whey Protein For Teens ]
Things To Keep In Mind While Giving A Protein Shake To Your Teen:
You may still feel that a protein shake will work wonders for your teen’s health. In such a situation, make sure you remember that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not strictly regulate protein supplements. According to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, prohibited substances may be present in protein shakes. It may also contain harmful ingredients that are missing on the label(3).
How To Choose Protein Shake For Teenager:
Before you allow your teen to have a protein shake, it is important you have a word with his doctor. You can also discuss it with your teen’s coach to understand if your teen needs a protein supplement. Here are a few tips that can help you choose a protein shake:
- The first thing you need to understand is whether or not your teen needs that protein shake. In many cases, your teen may just want one as a result of peer pressure.
- A protein shake is not a substitute for a healthy diet. It is just a health supplement that your teen needs to consume in addition to having a balanced meal.
- Ask your doctor about the dosage of protein your sporty teen may need.
- An overdose of protein can lead to protein toxicity(4). It can cause unwanted weight gain and various other health complications. It can also result in dehydration, decalcification and kidney problems.
[ Read: Effects Of Energy Drinks On Teens ]
Popular Protein Shakes For Teenagers:
Here are the top five protein shakes that are in demand these days. Speak to your doctor before giving your teen any of these:
- Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein for INR 1,999
- Amway Nutrilite Protein Powder for INR 1,989
- Protinex High Protein Nutritional Supplement for INR 230
- Prostar 100% Whey Protein by Ultimate Nutrition for INR 3,200
- British Nutrition Power Protein for INR 1,644
Your teen will surely need a lot of nutrition during these very important growing up years. But, remember dietary supplements are secondary to healthy meals.
Did your teen have a protein supplement? What protein supplement did you give your teen? Do share your experience with us in the comments section.
- 7 Incredible Benefits Of Regular Exercises For Your Teens
- 6 Benefits Of Positive Parenting For Teenagers
- A Healthy Food Guide Pyramid For Kids And Teens
- 8 Wonderful Benefits Of Aerobic Exercises For Kids