Cancer – the very word sends chills down the spine. And if someone dear is the unfortunate one to get affected, that makes matters worse.
As per The WHO’s fact sheets, Lung Cancer happens to be the most common cancer in the world. Astonishing, isn’t it? What might come as a bigger surprise is the fact that an increasing number of teens are falling prey to this fatal cancer?
Don’t be terrified, there is something better you can do to prevent it. Here is a post to learn can teenagers get lung cancer and how to help prevent its occurrence at first place.
What Is Lung Cancer?
Lung Cancer is the most common and serious types of cancer. It is the non-regulated and abnormal growth of cells in either or both lungs. The growth disrupts the normal functioning of lungs, and the abnormal cells do not turn into healthy tissues. They hence divide and start turning into lethal tumors.
Causes Of Lung Cancer In Teens:
Many people wonder how teens can get exposed to such dangerous cancer
Whether teens or adults, smoking happens to be the top cause of lung cancer. Teens, more specifically, generally have an inclination towards tobacco and nicotine.
Apart from smoking, there are other causes of lung cancer in teens too. They are:
- Air pollution
- Exposure to hazardous chemicals arsenic, nickel, uranium, asbestos, radon gas and many others.
[ Read: Tips To Make Your Teens Quit Smoking ]
Symptoms Of Lung Cancer In Teens:
Knowing symptoms of a disease is the first step towards the cure. Without identifying the problem, one can never really begin the cure. So here are few tell-tale signs of lung cancer in teenagers.
- Persistent coughing
- Visible change in the color of the mucus coughed up
- Coughing of blood
- Change in voice
- Chest pain or shoulder pain due to coughing
- Shortness of breath and difficulty in swallowing
- Unexplained weight loss
[ Read: Whooping Cough In Teens ]
Diagnosing Lung Cancer In Teens:
If you suspect your teen has lung cancer, seek immediate medical attention. Typical diagnosis includes:
- Chest examination
- PET Scan
- Blood test
[ Read: Symptoms Of Colon Cancer In Teens ]
Treating Lung Cancer In Teens:
Once the doctor confirms the disease, he determines the stage of cancer. The stage determines the line of treatment to follow. The kind of treatment depends on other important factors like health status, age, and many other personal factors.
Usually, treatment is often a combination of various therapies and care and medicines at the same time. However, the main types of treatment for teens with lung cancer can be divided into the following:
Recently, more advanced and new treatments have also come up. These being:
- Gene therapy
- Hormone therapy
[ Read: Ovarian Cancer In Teens ]
Preventing Lung Cancer In Teenagers:
The first and foremost step towards prevention is not to let your teen start using tobacco. Educate your teen about healthy and unhealthy habits.
- Talk about the risks of tobacco with your teen. Make sure you discuss how tobacco can harm his heart, lungs and can be dangerous in more ways than one.
- Make sure your teen isn’t influenced by someone close to him. If your teen already has been, it is best to keep teen away from the person in question.
- Do not let your teen fall prey to the false glamorization of tobacco use shown in movies, the internet, and social media.
- Ensure that your teen knows that apart from smoking, there are other forms of tobacco and nicotine too. Educate him and help him stay away.Unfortunately, if your teen has already fallen prey to smoking, help him/her come out of it. Remember, threats and ultimatums never work. Quitting an addiction is extremely difficult. Be patient and help your teen come out of it slowly.
Coping with cancer treatment of cancer can leave your teen drained. Apart from the physical aspects, there can emotional turmoil too. It is best to be strong and deal with things as they come. Just be patient and let the treatment take its course.
Do you have more information about lung cancer to share? Please leave your comments below and help others moms know more about the subject.
- Skin Cancer In Teens – Everything You Need To Know
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) In Teens – Everything You Need To Know
- Kidney Stones In Teens – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
- Appendicitis In Teens – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments