Are you an SAHM, or a Stay At Home Mom? Do you devote all your time to looking after your babies or are you also working professionally from home? Does most of the week see you in the house, complete with your baby’s accessories and toys, your kid’s homework and books and taking care of your family?
Has the feeling of being cooped up begun to set in? Do you feel you aren’t going out as often as you would want or as often as you did earlier is taking its toll on you? Do you want to fight those blues and get back your happy and positive personality?
Being a stay at home mom can be a big challenge, especially if it’s your first time. Read on to know some effective, easy and everyday ways in which you can beat those stay at home blues and also feel happy about what you are doing.
How To Fight The Stay At Home Mom Blues?
Once you become a mother, your primary instinct may be to take care of your baby all the time. You may be so hands-on as a mother that you do not trust anyon
As a stay at home mom, you are always present with your baby and your kids’ every need. You are their primary caregiver and their primary point of contact, and manage all aspects of their lives. Doing the same thing over and over, every day of the week, is bound to take a toll. If you are not happy or feel depressed, it will show when you interact with your kids and family. So read our post and help rid yourself of the depressive feeling.
[ Read: Fun Things To Do With Your Newborn Baby ]
3 Easy Ways To Avoid Stay At Home Mom Depression And Anxiety:
Here are a few ways that will help you fight those stay at home mom blues and enjoy your role as a mother, even while creating time and space for yourself:
1. Get Ready Right In The Morning:
Being a stay at home mom, you may end up spending your entire day in your pajamas. While it is surely a comfortable way to be in and is most convenient when you know your baby might mess them up.
- Get up a little early and take the time and effort to get into a hot clean shower. Wear a nice dress or a comfortable set of clean clothes. Add some makeup if you may, a lovely shade of lipstick will always make you feel happy, or just wear your natural clean and freshly scrubbed face. Dab a scented body lotion or mist but ensure it is not too strong for your baby’s comfort.
- Getting ready in the morning will ensure you are ready to meet any unexpected visitor who may come visiting in the day and look all prepared and put together. It will also give you a feeling of having done something for yourself.
[ Read: Daycare Vs. Stay-At-Home Parenting – Common Concerns ]
2. Maintain A Schedule:
Not having a routine can be one of the worst traps for a stay at home mom. You may feel that with so many things to take care of and so many unplanned and sudden things, a schedule will not help. Planning your day will not only give a structure to your thoughts and activities, it will also help you create a window where you can squeeze in some much-needed ‘me’ time.
- Get a journal, even a spare notebook or your desktop calendar will do, and write down things in advance. The best part about being a stay at home mom is that you are already aware of the many things you need to take care of through the week.
- Jot everything down with a proper date, day, and time. Highlight important events like vaccinations, school projects, classes and such so that you do not miss out on anything. Write down all the things you or your baby do through the day.
- Once you have everything in writing, sit down and give it a once over. You will find some time every day when you notice your baby or your kid do not need you, and when you can add in some activity. It could be something as simple as lying down and flipping through a girlie magazine, to checking out online stores, exercising or even watching re-runs of your favorite sitcoms.
[ Read: Pros And Cons Of Being A Stay At Home Mother ]
3. Go Out:
Yes, as a mother you probably have only mommy friends or have alienated yourself from most of your friends as they do not have kids, same age or otherwise. While it is important to be around your kids, it is also important to have some fun friend time for yourself.
- Talk to your partner and find out a few days in the month when you can take time out for yourself. Plan in advance with your friends so that there are no last-minute changes, especially as you may not be able to make time otherwise. Get ready, wear a favorite dress and get yourself all set to go out and enjoy without feeling guilty. Let your partner take care of the kids and the house while you are away.
- If you are worried that your partner will not be able to cope without you, try and make some meals in advance and store them in the refrigerator. You can make some easy meals like soups in bigger batches that you can freeze, and your partner can later heat, or casseroles or even proper meals that your partner can heat up. Keep your phone with you at all times and tell your partner to try and call you only in case of an emergency. Also, avoid calling home repeatedly to check on your babies, and instead, enjoy your time out.
[ Read: Fun Things To Do As A Stay At Home Mom ]
Remember that what you are doing for your kids and your family is of immense worth, something that no one can do better than you. Make the most of your time with your family and also give due importance to yourself.
If you are one of those depressed stay at home moms too, share your tips on how you plan your day and your ‘me’ time.
- 16 Simple Tips To Help You Get Back To Work After Maternity Leave
- 10 Fun Exercises You Can Do With Your Baby
- 10 Funny Ways To Make Your Baby Laugh