Is your teen experiencing a painful rectal infection? Does the infection cause severe bleeding? If you nodded along gravely, you need to take her to a doctor immediately. But, before you do that, read our post on whether can teens get hemorrhoids. Here we look at the major causes, symptoms, and effective treatments, to cure hemorrhoids in teens.
What Are Hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids are an infection that leads to swollen veins in the anal canal. The infection may make your teen feel extremely uncomfortable and undergo severe pain. She may also experience bleeding during bowel movement. ‘Piles’ is the medical term for Hemorrhoids.(1)
Causes Of Hemorrhoids In Teens:
There are several factors that cause Hemorrhoids:
- Excessive pressure on the rectal veins initiates the rectal infection. The pressure can lead to painful swelling around the anal region and Hemorrhoids.
- Persistent diarrhea or tendency to regular constipation can elevate the symptoms of Hemorrhoids in teens.
- Obese teenagers are more prone to suffer from Hemorrhoids. Being heavy weighted imposes pressure on the lower abdomen and the pelvic region, which can strain the anal canal.
- Teens suffering from complex health conditions such as chronic heart or liver diseases can experience Hemorrhoids, at their early ages.
- Teenagers consuming low fiber diet encounter irregular bowel movement or constipation issues. The irregular bowel movement can impose excess pressure on the rectal veins during regular bowel movements and cause swelling near the anal region. (2)
[ Read: Home Remedies To Treat Constipation In Teens ]
Symptoms Of Hemorrhoids In Teens:
Some of the common observable symptoms of teenage Hemorrhoids include:
- Painless bleeding during bowel movements
- Itching or irritation around the anal region
- Rectal pain
- Excessive pain and discomfort
- Swelling near the anal region
- A lump near the anus (3)
[ Read: Symptoms Of Kidney Stones In Teens ]
Treating Hemorrhoids In Teens:
Some of the treatments for teen Hemorrhoids include:
- Injection (Sclerotherapy):
The doctor injects a chemical solution using an injection, to shrink the swelling around the anal region.
- Rubber Band Ligation:
The treatment procedure entails inserting of tiny rubber bands around the base of internal hemorrhoid. The Hemorrhoids wither and shrink within a one-week period.
It is a surgical process of hemorrhoid removal. Hemorrhoidectomy is the one of the most effective way to treat severe or recurring hemorrhoids.
- Stapled Hemorrhoidopexy:
This surgical procedure prevents blood flow to hemorrhoidal tissue. It is a less painful surgical procedure compared to Hemorrhoidectomy. However, Stapled Hemorrhoidopexy enhances the reoccurrence of Hemorrhoids for future days. It is always preferred to consult with the surgeon. He may suggest you the most suitable surgical procedure, suiting your health discomforts. (4)
[ Read: Causes Of Heartburn In Teens ]
Medications For Hemorrhoids In Teens:
There are several medications to reduce the symptoms of pain of Hemorrhoids in teens.
- Skin ointments composed of zinc oxide or petroleum jelly can reduce itching around the anal region.
- Application of ointment containing 1% hydrocortisone, a typical type of steroid medicine may relieve inflammation and itching of the anal veins.
- Pain relieving medications such as Acetaminophen, Aspirin and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen (Motrin) and naproxen (Aleve) eventually reduces pain and swelling of Hemorrhoids.
[ Read: Appendicitis In Teens ]
Preventing Hemorrhoids In Teenagers:
Some ways you can prevent Hemorrhoids include:
- Eating high-fiber food like plentiful fibrous fruits and vegetables reduces the condition of constipation in teens. It can greatly help to overcome problems of Hemorrhoids.
- Drinking a good amount of fluid maintains regular bowel movement and prevents the condition of Hemorrhoids.
- Practice healthy bowel habits can reduce the painful condition of Hemorrhoids. (5)
With proper precautionary measures, teenagers can effectively stay away from such health discomforts. In case of severe Hemorrhoids pain, consult with the medical consultant immediately.
Has your teen suffered from the problem of Hemorrhoids? What were the treatment procedures did your doctor adopt? Did she benefit from the treatment? Share your story here.
- Seizures In Teens – 10 Causes, 13 Symptoms & 3 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- Epilepsy In Teens – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) In Teens – Everything You Need To Know
- Migraine In Teenagers – Everything You Need To Know