Every couple wants to conceive their baby in a natural and healthy manner. Now a days pertaining to the sedentary lifestyle of couples, their timing of family planning gets delayed. This in turn leads to high chances of infertility issues.
Thanks to modern science and research, if couples fail to conceive naturally due to infertility issues, they still have a chance to become parents by opting for Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART).
One such ART technique which helps infertile couples to conceive their baby is ZIFT. It stands for Zygote Intra Fallopian Transfer.
What Is The ZIFT Process?
The ZIFT process takes at least 4 to 6 weeks to yield any result. Following are the ways in which the entire process is conducted:
- When your menstrual cycle begins, your doctor will ask you to consume fertility drugs.
- These drugs will help you release mature eggs, which can be fertilized artificially later.
- In some cases, when eggs release prematurely, your doctor may prescribe ne
- After you consume the drugs, your doctor will continually monitor your eggs to see their ageing and development. There will be regular ultrasounds and checks to monitor your hormonal status.
- Thereafter, when your eggs mature, they will be removed by inserting a needle in the vaginal wall.
- These eggs will then be mixed with your partner’s sperm and will be fertilized in the laboratory.
- Once the eggs fertilize, they will be again re-inserted in your fallopian tube. However, in this stage there might be a minor surgery because your zygote, that is the fertilized egg, has to be transferred.
- A small incision is done in your abdomen through laparoscopy. It is painless.
- You will be discharged from the hospital on the same day. You will come to know whether it is successful or not after 2 weeks. For a positive result, it is necessary that your zygote travels to the uterus and then grow into a fetus.
[ Read: Effects Of Caffeine On Fertility ]
Is ZIFT Same As IVF?
Both ZIFT as well as IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) are methods of artificial reproduction and are useful for couples who face infertility problems. In a way, ZIFT is very similar to IVF. The major difference between the two is that:
- In case of IVF, the fertilized egg is inserted in the uterus.
- In case of ZIFT, it is transferred only to the fallopian tube. Also, the zygote has to travel on its own.
Therefore, the important pre-requisite for ZIFT procedure is that the women should have at least one fallopian tube in functional condition.
[ Read: Gamete Intrafallopian Transfer ]
What Are The Benefits Of Using ZIFT?
Those couples who have severe infertility issues can consider this method as a boon to have their baby.
- The most important advantage of using this method is that the doctor can confirm the fertilization of egg before inserting it in the Fallopian tube.
- Thus the doctor will only select the best and perfectly developed zygote.
- This method works well on those couples who have tried at least one year to conceive naturally and have 5 to 6 failed cycles of IUI (intrauterine insemination).
[ Read: Yoga For Fertility ]
What Are The Downsides Of Using ZIFT?
There are some cons of using this method and thus very few couples opt for ART (Assisted Reproductive Technology). Following are the few negatives:
- In this method, multiple zygotes are inserted in the fallopian tube to increase the chances of success, but it can also result into multiple pregnancies. Therefore, chances of having twins and triplets increases. Sometimes multiple pregnancies can be dangerous and there are more chances of miscarriage.
- There is a risk of having ectopic pregnancy, where the fetus will develop outside the womb. In such cases it becomes necessary to remove the zygote through surgery or even removal of the fallopian tube.
- Some women might develop too many eggs due to fertility drugs. This can cause several hormonal changes in the body which are difficult to handle.
- Some studies also claim that babies born through this treatment can have birth defects or deformities.
[ Read: 6 Symptoms Of IUI Pregnancy ]
Thus, proper guidance from doctor is must before opting zygote intrafallopian transfer ZIFT.
We hope you find this information useful and share with those couple who are planning to go for assisted reproductive technique.
Do share your views and experiences on the same with other readers in the comment section below.
References : 1 , 2
- 7 Effective Ayurvedic Treatments To Cure Infertility
- 10 Harmful Effects Of Smoking On Fertility
- 6 Effective Yoga Poses for Women Trying to Conceive
- Infertility Treatment – Gamete Intrafallopian Transfer (GIFT)