Are you the sort of person who loves gardening? You just love your plants and flowers, and you wish to continue tending to your garden during pregnancy, but are unsure about it? If these questions have you concerned, let us ease them. Read our post to keep your love of gardening alive even while you are pregnant.
Is Gardening During Pregnancy Harmful?
Before you read our tips about gardening while pregnant, there are some things you need to remember. While you are pregnant, you should be extra careful if you plan to continue with gardening. One of the essential things you need to ensure is that you should not come in contact with chemical pesticides. The other major thing you need to be aware of is a condition known as toxoplasmosis.
What Is Toxoplasmosis?
Toxoplasmosis is an infection that occurs due to the Toxoplasma gondii or T. gondii parasite. The parasite enters the body through many ways. While you are pregnant and you carry on gardening, you are at a higher risk
[ Read: Risks Related To Painting During Pregnancy ]
Tips To Remember When Gardening During Pregnancy:
If your doctor has given you a thumbs up to garden while you are still pregnant, make sure you keep the following in mind:
1. No Chemicals:
As part of gardening, you will sometimes use chemicals in your garden.
- Make sure you are safely indoors or at some other location when your garden is given a chemical treatment.
- Ask a friend, partner, family member or trained professional to take over when any chemical is being sprayed in your garden.
[ Read: Exposure To Chemicals During Pregnancy ]
2. Integrated Pest Management Systems:
It is always safer to go for integrated pest management systems.
- As part of such systems, you can opt for treatment methods that do not involve the use of chemicals to treat garden insects or diseases.
- Whenever required, the systems make use of chemicals that are the least toxic option.
[ Read: Environmental Hazards During Pregnancy ]
3. Keep Cats Away:
Make sure that you keep cats out of your garden.
- Whether it is your pet cat or a stray, ensure it does not enter your garden.
- Cat feces are one of the main sources of spreading the condition of toxoplasmosis. To be safe, you have to ensure no cats can contaminate the soil in your garden.
4. Gloves Are Your Gardening Best Friend:
When you are gardening, make sure you always wear a pair of gloves.
- Always ensure you are wearing the proper pair of gloves that covers your hands and any visible skin on your arms. Go for longer sleeved gloves if you can.
- Take care to keep the soiled gloves away from your face or skin while you are gardening. Do not touch your face, eyes, hair or any other body part with the soiled gloves. Once done, make sure you clean up properly before touching your skin or any other object in the house.
[ Read: Activities To Stay Active During Pregnancy ]
5. Dress Appropriately:
While gardening, it is important to dress for the part.
- Wear proper gloves as mentioned in the above point and go for long sleeved dresses instead of shorter or sleeveless versions.
- Wear bottoms that will cover your entire leg, like trousers, track pants and such. Do not step out barefoot in your garden and always wear proper closed shoes.
Apart from the above points, make sure you drink lots of water and wear a suitable sunscreen to stay hydrated and protected from the sun.
Hope now you are clear about the concept of gardening and pregnancy. Did you garden while you were pregnant? What special tips did you follow? Tell us below.
- Is It Safe To Ride A Bike During Pregnancy?
- Is Skiing Safe During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Go Bowling During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Do Ballet During Pregnancy?