Are you experiencing extreme dehydration or prolonged fever during pregnancy? Has your healthcare consultant diagnosed you with Rotavirus? If you nodded along fervently, you should read our post here.
What Is Rotavirus?
The Rotavirus is a genus of double-stranded RNA virus. There are eight species of the virus, A, B, C…H, with Rotavirus A causing most infections in humans. It is a highly contagious virus, and it transmits via stool or by hand-to-mouth contact with an infected person. Pregnant women are at a greater risk of infection. In case you suffer from prolonged fever or diarrhea, seek immediate medical attention (1).
[ Read: Common Viral Infections During Pregnancy ]
Causes Of Rotavirus During Pregnancy:
The harmful germ of rotavirus is present in an infected person’s stool for several days. During your pregnancy phase, if you come in contact with an infected person through hand-hand contact, you can easily contract the rotavirus.
As soon as you come in direct con
Symptoms Of Rotavirus During Pregnancy:
Some of the symptoms of a rotavirus infection typically include:
- High fever
- Watery diarrhea
- Stomach cramping that lasts for five to nine days
If you are experiencing extreme dehydration in pregnancy it can also lead to pregnancy complexities, including:
- Preterm labor
- Maternal Death
So, it is always advisable to take close note of the symptoms and seek medical guidance immediately (3).
[ Read: Ways To Prevent Preterm Labor ]
Diagnosing Of Rotavirus During Pregnancy:
Doctors can diagnose the presence of rotavirus in pregnant moms by simply examining the expecting moms stool.
Treating Rotavirus During Pregnancy:
There are no specific medications or antibiotic drugs to treat the infection. Usually, the condition can be dealt with adequate intake of fluids. Your doctor may simply advise you to drink plenty of fluids daily. An adequate intake of fluids will help overcome the problem of dehydration and reduce further complexities.
Remedies For Rotavirus In Pregnancy:
Here are some simple home remedies that help cure the symptoms of rotavirus while pregnant:
- Drink an adequate amount of water including plain water, fruit juices or oral re-hydration fluid to hydrate your body. Extreme dehydration can increase the risks of pregnancy complexities and make it difficult for your body to prepare for the childbirth.
- If you feel uneasy due to terrible abdominal pain, take complete rest and get relief from the uneasiness.
- Include bland foods such as crackers or plain toast in your meal. Avoid including spicy and oily foods in your pregnancy diet plan.
- Do not consume carbonated drinks, sugary foods or dairy products, as it can turn your condition worse.
- If you are struggling with severe vomiting and diarrhea, take few sips of clear soda water or plain water. Avoid eating anything, that irritates your stomach lining and triggers vomiting or nausea.
- Avoid consuming caffeinated products, highly seasoned foods, alcohol or nicotine.
[ Read: Symptoms Of Cytomegalovirus During Pregnancy ]
In your pregnancy phase, if you encounter extreme uneasiness caused out of high fever or vomiting, get in touch with the medical consultant immediately.
Following the right eating habits and prevention measures, you can keep the rotavirus at bay during this delicate time of pregnancy. If you fall prey to it, don’t worry, seek immediate medical attention and follow the doctor’s advice. You will be alright in no time, ready to give birth to a beautiful and healthy little angel.
Did your doctor diagnose you with rotavirus when pregnant? How did you overcome it? What preventive measures did you adopt? Did you face any pregnancy complexities? Tell us about your story here.
- Fifth Disease During Pregnancy – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
- Parvovirus B19 During Pregnancy – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
- Hydronephrosis During Pregnancy – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
- 5 Effective Tips To Manage Multiple Sclerosis During Pregnancy