Pregnancy is very special time for a woman; you are not only eating for your health, but also for the development of your unborn baby. That’s why everyone advises expecting moms to include healthy vegetables and fruits in their diet.
Custard apple is one such fruit; but do you wonder how exactly it is beneficial for your pregnancy?
Custard Apple For Pregnant Women – Why Is It Recommended?
Custard apple is a brownish-green fruit that resembles a bulbous rock in appearance, When you open it, you will see black seeds covered in tender, delicious flesh. This flesh has high nutritional values in it and is considered as an excellent food for an expecting woman.
Here are some benefits of custard apple in pregnancy:
- Custard apple has a lot of nutrients, calories and natural sugar, which generally work in the favor of pregnant women. It can be a healthy snack, instead of biscuits or fried snacks.
- If you consume custard apple regularly, it will help in the production of breast milk.
- This fruit reduces the risks and chances of miscarriage and also help in reducing labor pains.
- This fruit is very useful for the improvement of the immune system, nervous system and also for the development of the brain in the fetus.
- Custard apple is a good source of copper. Generally pregnant women need to take 1000 micrograms of copper. Low copper in the body can cause premature birth. So consuming this fruit can be really helpful.
- Custard apple has Vitamin C and Vitamin A which is very useful for the fetus in the womb. It is brilliant for the right growth of eyes, skin, hair and also blood tissues.
- Expecting women who are underweight can enjoy custard apple to gain some weight during pregnancy.
- It helps to cope with the mood swings, numbness in your body and morning sickness as well.
[ Read: Guava During Pregnancy ]
Nutritional Values Of Eating Custard Apple During Pregnancy:
Custard apple is the best source of all vitamins, minerals, proteins, fiber as well as energy. The different nutrients that you get from custard apple are vitamin C, Vitamin A, Magnesium, Potassium, Copper.
A custard apple of 100 grams has:
- Ascorbic Acid (15 Mg)
- Calcium (17.6 Mg)
- Calories (80-101)
- Carbohydrate (20g)
- Carotene (0.007 Mg)
- Fat (0.5g)
- Fiber (0.9 G)
- Iron (0.42 Mg)
- Niacin (0.528m)
- Nicotinic Acid (0.5 Mg)
- Phosphorus (14.7mg)
- Protein (68g)
- Riboflavin (0.086 Mg)
- Thiamine (0.075 mg)
[ Read: Pineapple During Pregnancy ]
Precautions To Be Taken While Eating Custard Apple:
Custard Apple is very good for health during pregnancy, but like all food items, few precautions need to be taken.
- Custard Apple has to be taken only when it is ripened. Unripe ones may cause digestion problems.
- The seeds of Custard apple are slightly poisonous. So you need to be very careful when you are eating the fruits and take care that you do not swallow the seeds.
- Custard apple has high amounts of sugar in it and hence sugar patients, especially pregnant women with gestational diabetes, should stay away from this fruit.
[ Read: Oranges During Pregnancy ]
So it is now time for you to leave all the myths about eating custard apple during pregnancy behind and add this fruit to your healthy diet chart. You and your child can reap the benefits of this wonderful fruit – custard apple. If you do not like its taste, you can enjoy custard apple in the form of ice cream, milk shakes, tart, and smoothies.
If you have a favorite custard apple recipe that you loved to eat during your pregnancy, do share it with us!
Reference : 1
- 5 Health Benefits Of Apricots During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Eat Mango During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Papaya During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Oranges During Pregnancy?