Now that you are pregnant, nutrition becomes the highest priority for you. You need to adjust your diet as your pregnancy progresses to meet the growing needs of your baby. While you may have to stop eating some foods and start incorporating some that you were not taking.
5 Benefits Of Sweet Potato During Pregnancy:
As you would want the best nutrition for your unborn kid, you must focus on natural foods like sweet potatoes that are highly beneficial in the course of pregnancy because of their high nutritional content. Let’s look into the benefits of eating sweet potato during pregnancy.
1. Vitamin A:
Vitamin A is vital for both the mom-to-be and her child in her womb.
- The American Pregnancy Association states that you must consume 700mg of vitamin A every day during pregnancy.
- A cup of sweet potato contains 1922 mgs of vitamin A that is about 300% of the regular intake that is recommended on a daily basis.
[ Read: Okra During Pregnancy ]
2. Vitamin C And Iron:
Vitamin C helps in the absorption of iron that is essential for good health of your baby during pregnancy.
- According to the National Institutes of Health women must take 80-85 mg of vitamin C and iron of 27 mgs during pregnancy.
- A cup of sweet potato that is baked contains 39mg of vitamin C and 1.38mg of iron.
Potassium is a vital nutrient for pregnant mothers and adults as well:
- Pregnant woman, adults nearing the 20s must take 4.7 grams of potassium every day.
- Women, who are breastfeeding, must increase their potassium intake to 5 grams every day.
- Sweet potatoes contain 950 mgs of potassium that is vitally essential during pregnancy.
[ Read: Guava During Pregnancy ]
Constipation is a common problem during pregnancy. Dietary fiber adds natural bulk to the digestive system.
- Pregnant mothers must consume 22-28mgs of fiber daily, to avoid constipation.
- A cup of sweet potato contains 6.6 grams of fiber that can meet most of the dietary fiber needs of your body.
[ Read: Can Pregnant Women Eat Mango ]
5. Vitamin B6:
Vitamin B6 prevents morning sickness and helps formation of red blood cells during pregnancy.
- According to the American Pregnancy Association pregnant women must consume 1.9 miligrams of vitamin B6 every day.
- A cup of sweet potato contains 0.6 milligrams of vitamin C.
- Make sure to get in touch with your health care provider before you incorporate any new food to your diet. He shall make you aware of the benefits and probable risks of the food you wish to add.
[ Read: Is Pineapple Safe During Pregnancy ]
4 Risks Of Taking Sweet Potatoes Daily:
Even though sweet potatoes come with high nutritional value, there are some risks associated with too much regular intake sweet potato in pregnancy. Here are some facts:
- According to the World Health Organization, pregnant women do not benefit from consuming three times the RDA of vitamin A.
- Further studies conducted indicate that habitual consumption of more than 10,000 IU of vitamin A can lead to miscarriage, stillbirth, birth defects, and congenital liver failure. A large sweet potato contains about 4 times this amount.
- Increased intake of vitamin A has been linked with malformations and birth defects. Obstetricians and nutritionists thus warn against excessive intake of vitamin A during pregnancy.
- Limited intake of sweet potatoes during pregnancy may protect your baby from complications, birth defects and miscarriages as well.
[ Read: Amla During Pregnancy ]
When you are eating for two, it can indeed be a nerve wracking responsibility, thus at the end of the day you need to ensure you and your baby gets the right nutritional boost.
As long as you consume sweet potatoes in moderation in all stages of pregnancy, you can enjoy this great root veggie!
Share your views and thoughts with us in the comment section below.
Reference : 1
- 8 Serious Effects Of Chickpeas During Pregnancy
- 11 Health Benefits Of Barley During Pregnancy
- What Are The Benefits Of Eating Amla During Pregnancy?
- 7 Health Benefits Of Eating Kidney Beans During Pregnancy