Isn’t breastfeeding the most beautiful and sacred thing in the world? Isn’t it also one of the best ways for you to bond with your little bundle of joy? As your little one depends on what you eat, so you need to watch what you eat while you are breastfeeding. Breastfeeding uses a lot of nutrients and energy, so it is critical that your diet be full of protein, calcium, and iron. Apart from the food, what you drink is quite important as well. In our post here, we look is it ok to drink decaf coffee while breastfeeding.
What Is Decaf?
Decaf- is the short name of decaffeinating. The process removes almost all the caffeine from the coffee beans, and it occurs while they are still green and before they are roasted.
The process of decaffeinating involves:
- Swelling the beans with steam or water to extract caffeine.
- Extract the caffeine from the beans; either through solvent, water or activated carbon.
- Dry the decaf beans to bring them to the normal moisture.
- The final process might differ slightly.
[ Read: Is Green Tea Safe While Breastfeeding ]
How Much Caffeine Is Safe While Breastfeeding?
The initial months of motherhood are often tiring, as you and your baby need to adapt to the new environment. It is quite natural for moms to feel tempted towards coffee. However, drinking moderate amounts of coffee is safe for both mom and the baby. Studies say a premature baby has a higher chance of getting affected by the caffeine that you consume.
[ Read: Is It Safe To Drink Herbal Tea While Breastfeeding ]
Tips To Have Your Coffee:
- If the baby seems to lose on sleep, then try having coffee after you breastfeed.
- Having 3-4 glasses of water after your coffee will dilute the coffee effect.
- Best is to have decaf coffee; it is considered a coffee substitute, but it tastes equally good.
- Drinking decaf in moderation will not affect the baby’s sleep.
- Decaf coffee is highly acidic, and it might cause heartburn and ulcers.
- Decaf Coffee also releases gastrin, which is a hormone that stimulates the release of stomach acid.
- Research also says that decaf coffee puts a lot of pressure on eyes and increases the risk of glaucoma.
- Chemical solvents are used to decaf coffee, which are said to leave the residue on beans.
- Studies also show that mothers having decaf coffee have a higher risk of rheumatoid arthritis.
[ Read: Side Effects Of Caffeine While Breastfeeding ]
Side Effects Of Decaf Coffee During Breastfeeding:
A study on decaf coffee shows that 14-20 cups of decaf coffee contains the same amount of caffeine in one regular coffee. Web portals say that only a person who has more than 10 cups of coffee a day should shift to decaf coffee. Do not avoid coffee and shift to energy drinks, as those ungodly drinks that are worse for mothers. Decaf coffee is a much healthier version than many other drinks available over the counter.
While you are breastfeeding, you will get advice on what to eat and what not to eat from every person you meet. Making a sound decision is critical for you; it is advisable to notice the baby’s sleep pattern after you have a cup of coffee. Are you a coffee freak? Were you able to shift to decaf during lactation? How difficult was the experience?
[ Read: Benefits Of Chamomile Tea During Breastfeeding ]
Do go online and read more about coffee. If you are a breastfeeding mom or you know someone who is drinking decaf coffee while breastfeeding, share your tips. It will help other mothers, and to-be-mothers make sound decisions; they would love to hear from you. So, tell us about your experiences below; leave a comment.
- Is It Safe To Drink Coffee While Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Drink Coconut Water While Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Drink Apple Juice While Breastfeeding?
- 9 Amazing Health Benefits Of Lemon Water During Breastfeeding