Are you troubled by the constant pain and aches while nursing? Or are you still recovering from a C-section? Are you thinking of taking your regular medicine oxycodone, but don’t know whether it would be safe while breastfeeding? If these questions baffle you, then you should think about reading our post!
When you are nursing, you are concerned about everything that you eat or drink. You will study the labels of every food item, including the package of medications to see if they are safe while breastfeeding. But labels don’t tell the whole story. And most of the time, package prescribing information is wrong. So what about oxycodone? Is it safe to take oxycodone while breastfeeding? Is it going to affect my baby in any way? Read on and get the answers to these questions!
What Is Oxycodone?
Oxycodone is a synthetic opioid synthesized from thebaine. It belongs to the narcotic analgesics group of medications. It helps relieve severe pain around the clock for a long time. It
Is It Safe To Take Oxycodone During Pregnancy?
No, oxycodone is not safe to consume during pregnancy, well not entirely. Oxycodone can pass into breast milk, and cause serious problems to the infant. Some sources also suggest that it is okay to use oxycodone to relieve pain after the childbirth. But, you need to discontinue the medication once you start feeding the baby. Other sources suggest that occasional doses of oxycodone pose minimal risk to the infant. So it would be wise if you consult your gynecologist before eating oxycodone.
[ Read: Is Metformin Safe While Breastfeeding ]
Oxycodone Effects While Breastfeeding:
Infant sedation is a common effect of the use of oxycodone during lactation. Newborns are sensitive to the effects of small doses of narcotic medication. Besides sedation, using oxycodone during pregnancy can cause many problems in infants, like drowsiness, depression, and even death in extreme cases. Monitor your baby carefully for drowsiness, weight gain, and other developmental milestones, especially in newborns. If your bub exhibits signs of increased sleepiness, breathing difficulties, limpness’ or trouble while breastfeeding, contact your physician immediately.
How To Use Oxycodone While Breastfeeding?
Oxycodone comes in several forms- liquid, tablet, capsule, concentrated solution and extended-release tablet. You can take the liquid with or without food, every 5 hours. As for the extended-release tablet, you must take it 12 hours. Follow the direction carefully and feel free to ask your doctor what you don’t understand. If you consume the extended-release tablets, then swallow it at once with plenty of water. Do not lick, presoak or chew the medicine.
If you take the concentrated solution, then mix it with a small amount of juice or semi-solid food like applesauce. Swallow the mixture right away.
Dosage Of Oxycodone While Breastfeeding:
The dose of the medicine depends on your ailment. A maximum of 30 milligrams of oxycodone is ideal while breastfeeding.
If you miss taking a dose, then take it as soon as you remember it. If it’s time for the next dose, then skip the missed one and continue with your dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose and never take more than a dose of the extended-release tablets.
Do not stop taking oxycodone without telling your doctor. Stopping the medication can trigger withdrawal symptoms like chills, sneezing, yawning, runny nose, watery eyes, joint aches, cramps, nausea, diarrhea, depression, and restlessness. Your physician will decrease your dose gradually.
[ Read: Safe Medicines While Breastfeeding ]
Before Using Oxycodone:
You need to consider a few things before taking oxycodone. These include:
- Avoid using oxycodone if you are allergic to any narcotic pain medicine like morphine, methadone, Vicodin, Lortab or Percocet.
- Do not take oxycodone if you suffer from any breathing problem or lung, pancreas, thyroid or gallbladder diseases.
- Avoid taking oxycodone if you a history of drug abuse or alcohol addiction.
- Do not consider oxycodone if you are having Addison’s diseases or adrenal gland disorder.
- Oxycodone is an addictive drug and can cause mental and physical dependence, even at regular doses. Physical dependence can cause severe withdrawal symptoms. So take the medicine exactly as your physician prescribes.
- It is not safe to share your oxycodone with people who exhibit the same symptoms. Neither is it safe to take another person’s prescription for the medicine.
- Oxycodone can cause severe constipation. To prevent constipation, drink many fluids and increase the amount of fiber in your diet.
- Keep the medicine in places where others cannot get it. Do not let the medication come in sight of someone who has a history of drug addiction or abuse.
- Never take oxycodone with alcohol. It can cause a deadly reaction. Do not drive, operate any machinery or partake in any activity that requires you to give attention to detail or quick response.
- Do not take oxycodone with any other narcotics. If you consume any other pain medication, then tell your doctor before taking oxycodone.
[ Read: Treating Constipation While Breastfeeding ]
General Precautions Of Taking Oxycodone While Breastfeeding:
Even if your doctor recommends you to take oxycodone, you need to exercise some precaution. These include:
Side Effects Of Using Oxycodone While Breastfeeding:
The side effects of oxycodone medication fall into two categories- common and rare. The common side effects do not require any medical assistance. As you get used to this drug, the side effect will also disappear. The common side effects include:
- Difficulty in passing stools
- Loss of strength
- Relaxed and calm feeling
The rare side effects of oxycodone may require serious medical condition. These include:
- Cold sweats
- Tightness in chest
- Difficulty while breathing
- Abdominal or stomach pain
- Swelling of the arms, hands, legs, feet or face
- Decrease in the frequency of urination
- Difficulty while swallowing
[ Read: Benefits Of Salicylic Acid While Breastfeeding ]
You must tell the doctor if you are breastfeeding, especially if you’re getting a prescription for pain medication. A physician sometimes prescribes a medicine without asking you if you are lactating.
Hope you are now clear about concept of oxycodone and breastfeeding. How did you deal with aches and pains during pregnancy? Did you take oxycodone or any other medication? Tell us by commenting below.
- Is It Safe To Take Painkillers While Breastfeeding
- Is It Safe To Take Drugs During Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Breastfeed When You Are Suffering From Fever?
- Is It Safe To Take Sleeping Pills While Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Take Antidepressants While Breastfeeding?