It is a well-known fact that reading to your baby will help in nurturing baby’s overall development and personality. While there are many books available today that are meant for infants, there are, in fact, various books that are also available for you to read while you are pregnant, for the benefit of your to-be-born!
Many mothers these days have started reading books out loud during their pregnancy. This is said to help the mothers, as well as make baby familiar with the mother’s voice. Not just that, reading to your baby while you are still pregnant is a good way to begin baby’s first steps in reading.
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, reading to your baby is essential soon after birth. The good news is that you don’t have to wait till your baby starts speaking. There are innumerable benefits of reading to your baby. In fact, you can start reading with baby right away, the sooner the better.
Benefits Of Reading Books To Your Baby:
There are countless b
Here is how reading to your new born or even to-be-born can help:
1. Listening Skills:
Listening to your voice as you read will stimulate baby’s interest in sounds
- It will also instill listening skills in baby.
- Reading books to your baby will give your little one a feeling of fun and comfort too.
2. Improves Vocabulary:
Reading aids in building your baby’s imagination and vocabulary.
- It also helps in improving baby’s communication skills.
- The more you read, baby will hear more words and gradually learn to identify them
3. Improves Visualization:
One of the greatest benefits of reading is that your baby will be introduced to the concepts of numbers, colors, letters, shapes and stories.
4. Build Memory:
Your baby will get an insight about the surroundings. This will gradually aid in building memory and enhance imagination skills.
5. Emotional And Social Skills:
Studies show that listening to various words expressing emotions as you read instills an emotional and social behavior in the baby.
- Reading also helps your little one to touch, look, point and respond to your questions.
- These activities help enhance thinking skills and social development.
- Language skills are enhanced by recognizing pictures, learning words and imitating various sounds.
- You should read aloud to your baby.
- Reading is a delightful shared activity which you can continue for years to come.
[ Read: Baby Activities ]
Some Books To Read To Your Baby:
Are you thinking what books should i read to my baby? Then here is some help. Every child must have a first library and some must have best books to read to baby:
1. Corduroy – Don Freeman
2. The Very Hungry Caterpillar – Eric Carle
3. My Very First Mother Goose – Iona Opie
4. Close Your Eyes – Kate Banks
5. Is Your Mama a Llama? – Deborah Guarino
6. Goodnight Moon – Margaret Wise Brown
7. Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed – Eileen Christelow
8. Guess How Much I Love You – Sam McBratney
9. Gossie -Olivier Dunrea
10. Dear Zoo – Rod Campbell
Reading books to read to your baby will help him build association with books, as well closeness to you and your voice too. If you are a would be mom then after 5 months is the right time to begun reading to your darling. Read to your older kids, if you have, regularly to help the increase their memory power and also to stay entertained. It will also turn into a fun and excitement filled activity!
Share with us your choice of parenting books.
- 6 Creative Sensory Activities For Infants
- 3 Learning Activities For Your 1 Month Old Baby
- 6 Important Bedtime Routines For Your Baby