Do you plan to include homemade millet recipes in your little one’s daily diet? Are you wondering how you can do so, or are you looking how to cook millet for baby and millet recipes for babies? If you said yes to either question, you might want to read our post. Here we look at some amazing ideas for introducing millet for babies.
Millets are an easily digestible, non-glutinous and nutritious meal. You can start feeding your six-month-old baby millet.
Why Is Millet Healthy For Babies?
Is millet good for babies? Well, millet is cereal, rich in Vitamin B, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium and iron. It is one of the good sources of protein. Millet is very versatile cereal, and it is usually soft and creamy. Your baby will find the smooth texture easy to digest.
[ Read: Baby’s First Foods ]
When Do You Introduce Millet To Babies?
Typically, introduce your baby to millet when she is around 6-8 months old. Homemade millet recipes are a preferable option for your little one.
Millet Nutritional Facts:
Millet is highly nutritious, it contains:
- High amounts of fiber.
- Some of the essential amino acids in methionine and lecithin.
- Rich in photochemical phytic acid, which lowers the blood cholesterol and reduces cancer risks.
- High in iron, magnesium, phosphorus, manganese, and potassium.
- Highly nutritious – ideal for babies.
- High protein source and ideal for a vegetarian diet.
[ Read: Ragi Porridge For Babies ]
Health Benefits Of Millet For Babies:
Here are some of the amazing health benefits of millets for babies:
- Easily Digestible:
Millets are a non-glutinous and soothing grain, which your little angel can easily digest.
- Controls Cholesterol:
Magnesium and Vitamin B present in millet help reduce your little one’s blood pressure, which in turn helps control cholesterol levels.
- Controls Diabetes:
The complex carbohydrates present in millets help control diabetes.
- Maintains Metabolic Rate:
The essential mineral Phosphorous helps metabolize fat and repairs damaged tissues.
- Cures Iron Deficiency:
Millet is a good source of iron and cures anemia in babies.
- Bone Development:
Millet contains a high proportion of calcium and regulates the bone development process of small and growing babies.
[ Read: Benefits Of Rice Water For Babies ]
Homemade Millet Recipes For Babies:
Now that you know why millet is good for your bundle of joy let’s look at some millet recipes.
1. Millet Porridge Cereal:
You Will Need:
• 3 tbsp Millet
• 1 cup water
• 1 pinch salt
- Boil 1 cup of water in a saucepan.
- Add three tablespoon of millet into the grinder and make a smooth powder.
- Add the ground millet and a pinch of salt into boiling water.
- Stir the contents continuously.
- Cover the saucepan for 10 minutes.
- The millet porridge for baby is ready now.
2. Millet, Carrots And Apples Stew:
You Will Need:
• Diced carrots
• Diced apples
• ¾ cup of Apple juice
• 1 cup of water
• Salt to taste
- In a saucepan, add diced carrots, water, diced apples and apple juice.
- Bring the mixture to boil and cover the stew for 15-20 minutes.
- Season the mixture with salt.
By including millet in your angel’s diet, you will help improve her health and boost her immunity. Millet is highly nutritional and is essential for babies.
[ Read: Spinach Recipes For Babies ]
A Word Of Caution:
Millet is highly nutritious and has many health benefits for your little one. However, if she suffers from wheat allergies or other conditions, check with her pediatrician before you include millet in her diet.
Have you tried any millet recipes for your baby? Does she love the taste? Which one is her favorite recipe? Tell us about it below. Leave a comment.
Do share your recipes with other mommies here!
- 10 Best Brown Rice Recipes For Your Baby
- Top 10 Gluten Free Recipes For Your Baby
- 7 Amazing Benefits Of Dry Fruits For Babies
- 3 Health Benefits Of Lentils For Babies