Your baby is now 6 months! Congrats on reaching this milestone.
Your baby by now has prepared the groundwork for speech. You will find her developing close bonds between you and her caregivers. You may find her growing afraid when among strangers. In this article, we shall take a look at what else you can expect from her at this stage.
6 Months Baby Development:
You will find your baby soon learn to adapt herself to a new environment. Go through the following to know your 6 month old baby development. Here are some significant developments you will notice in your angel.
1. Overall Development:
Your baby is now capable of holding her weight for some time. You still need to hold her hand while she is trying to lift herself up. You need to be by her side throughout the process of her learning to balance.
- By this time she may learn to sit on her own. However, don’t worry if she is yet to develop this skill.
- She is quickly learning the fact that she can control her hands.
- The size of her head is however bigger than her body, but she will look more proportionate than before. Her head has flattened at the back by this age.
- You may find her teeth appearing at this age and you can notice changes in her gums.
- Make sure to keep changing her position while placing in her cot, so that she does not lie on her same position for long.
[ Read: When Will My Baby Start To Roll Over ]
2. Behavioural Development:
Your baby is going through what is known as the “oral phase” right now. You will find her trying to speak too many things at a time.
- Moms, please don’t be fanatical about cleanliness at this time. However, make sure to maintain the basic standards of hygiene as babies develop the habit of putting everything in her mouth now.
- Reading to your baby is a good activity you can try. You will find her interested in pictures and bright colors.
- You will be amazed to see your baby laughing back when you laugh with her.
- When you play games with her, you will find her anticipating the next step. However, do not mind if you find her patience short while playing.
- If you find her breaking into cry, gazing away and appearing absent minded, it is time to stop.
[ Read: Baby Milestones Chart ]
3. Changes In Eating Habits:
Your baby’s appetite is growing and she may seem enthusiastic about the idea of trying different textures and tastes. This is an indication that she is ready for solids:
- Iron fortified rice cereals are a good option that you can introduce at this age. Since breast milk does not contain much iron, it is important to start with foods that are rich in iron.
- In case your baby does not appreciate taste of the rice cereal much, you can add boiled fruits in pureed forms. Apple or pear can be a good choice.
- Addition of fruits will also mean addition of Vitamin C that will actually help in iron absorption.
- However, continue feeding her milk, as it is still her primary source of food.
[ Read: 6 Month Baby Food ]
4. Sleeping Patterns:
Your little one will still enjoy sleeping thrice a day. You can expect her to sleep for 10 hours at night. Again, there is nothing to worry if she doesn’t seem very keen on sleeping.
- You can use different techniques and strategies to lull her to sleep.
- Self soothing techniques are the best that will ensure she gets back to sleep even if awake at the middle of the night.
- Stay calm and so not stimulate her in any way. This will help her fall asleep better.
Health Of Your 6th Month Baby:
This is the time when she receives her third lot of vaccines. You may find her little unsettled and cranky after the vaccinations are over.
- Make sure to keep a track of her immunization chart, so that you do not miss out on any of them.
- Babies tend to develop cold at this age. Do not feel disappointed that she gets frequent cold despite your best efforts to protect her.
- There is no need to panic when your baby falls sick the first time. Make sure your baby is comfortable and get in touch with your doctor with concerns that are bothering you.
- Apart from this, you can also take her for a general check up for assessment of diarrhea, vomiting, rash, etc.
[ Read: When Can Baby Sit Up On Own ]
Nurturing Your Baby’s Skills:
There are many things you can do to help her during her growing up months. Take a look how:
- Your baby at this age will love animal voices and will begin to understand that different creatures make different sounds. You can show her pictures of animals and tell her about the different noises they make.
- You will find her waving her toys madly, without knowing how to use them. You need to assist her while playing and help her discover her different toys.
- To help her develop her eye-hand coordination, you can give her cups and blocks to stack. It will be a big challenge for her at this age.
- Give her different textures to touch. A velvety napkin or a wooden toy and a silky scarf will encourage her to touch them again and again.
[ Read: Benefits Of Reading To Your Baby ]
When it comes to development, babies take their own sweet time. Do not pressurize your baby to develop a skill that she is yet not capable of. You can read more about milestone guides and talk to your doctor if you are concerned about your little one’s developments.
Moms share with us your 6 months old baby development milestones in the comments section below. What activities with her kept you engaged all through the day? Do you have any amusing anecdote from this time? We will love to hear from you.
- 4 to 6 Months Baby Sleep – Everything You Need To Know
- 5 Learning Activities For Your 6 Month Old Baby
- Top 10 Food Ideas For Your 7 Months Baby
- Top 10 Food Ideas For Your 8 Months Baby
- 10 Fun And Interesting Activities For Your 8th Month Old Baby