As your baby turns 4 months, he gets into a playful mood. Isn’t it surprising for you to see how time flies? You will notice several rapid changes in the next few months. During this stage, your baby bonds with you through coos, giggles, smiles and laughs. He will enjoy his conversations with you.
4 Month Old Baby Development Milestones:
In the article, we discuss the different and significant changes taking place in your 4 months baby development milestones.
1. Growth In Your Baby:
Your baby’s weight has doubled since the time of his birth. If you don’t see changes in weight have a talk with your baby’s pediatrician. As cases like these needs to be taken care at the earliest.
[ Read: 5 Month Baby Development ]
2. Development Of Motor Skills:
The one motor skill achievement your baby will achieve this month is gaining control over his hands. He uses his hands to grab anything within his reach. Here are some precautions you need to take care of:
- You may have to remov
- You need to be careful as anything he gets hold of eventually lands in his mouth. Your baby is at a stage where he is exploring the world around him by tasting it. Be careful and keep away tiny items like buttons, pins, small toy parts, etc.
- Your baby can now push or kick with his feet. Ensure he is well guarded with pillows or cushions to avoid any fall.
[ Read: 4 Months Baby Activities ]
3. Development Of Senses:
In the initial 3 months, it is difficult for babies to distinguish between colors. During 4 months old baby development, his vision has sharpened by 20/40. Your cute one can now identify subtle color contrasts.
- Your baby’s eyes now move smoothly. They can follow the movement of objects.
- Your baby’s eye color may change at this stage. They undergo many changes for the next two months, before they adapt the actual shade.
- You must get in touch with your doctor if you find any vision or crossed eyes problems.
4. Ability To Communicate:
Your baby now understands his individuality. He now knows that people around him respond to his reactions. Here are certain things you will notice:
- He will feel delighted dropping the objects repeatedly. He does that to get a reaction from you or your partner. He knows that either of you will pick them up for him.
- He is learning to communicate effectively at this stage. You may often find him expressing through coos, gurgles or laughs.
- He has started reading your facial expressions and identifying your voice.
5. Eating Habits:
Doctors do not prescribe solids during this month. Here is what you should feed your baby with:
- If your baby shows readiness for solids, you can begin with a few mashed options.
- Before you start feeding solid food, ensure your baby has developed good neck and head control.
- You can try rice cereal fortified with iron or formula solution. You can change the consistency by adding breast milk.
- Your baby has tongue-thrust reflex at this age. He may push out the food if he is not ready for solids.
6. Sleep Patterns:
In 4 month baby development stage, your little one enjoys his night’s sleep. Sleeping for long hours is good for your baby’s health.
- Try to add some more hours of sleep. Include two more naps for the day.
- That way your baby will sleep for around 16 hours a day.
[ Read: 4 Month Baby Sleep ]
How Can You Help Your Baby?
As a parent, you always want to do the best for your baby to ensure his proper growth and development. Here is what you can do:
- Sometimes, babies may tend to cry when they are uncomfortable. If you find yours crying, check his nappy. See if he needs water or is hungry. You must comfort him when he is crying.
- Playing together and singing songs will make him feel secured and loved.
- Smile when he looks at you. It is a great way to enhance brain development. Your baby releases some chemicals and feels loved when you smile at him.
- Talk to him and listen to him gabble. It will help him develop his communication skills.
- Maintain a routine. It will help both you and your baby stay healthy.
[ Read: 3 Month Baby Development ]
Meeting The Pediatrician:
Before stepping into the chamber of the pediatrician make a note of the concerns that you have. Also keep in mind the following checklists:
- Sleeping patterns
- Eating patterns
- Vision and hearing
- Height and weight
- Milestones achieved
It is wonderful to see your little one grow. Being the mother of a cute baby, you must ensure his safety. Try to be around him while he is busy playing.
Mothers, share your experiences of your 4 month old baby development stages. If you have more ideas and thoughts regarding the topics share that too with other parents in the comment section.
- 3 Learning Activities For Your 5 Month Old Baby
- Top 10 Food Ideas For Your 6 Months Baby
- 5 Learning Activities For Your 6 Month Old Baby