Seeing your newborn, you never realized that one day your little bundle of joy would be capable of throwing so many temper tantrums. Welcome to the world of a 22 month old baby!
The temper tantrums you suddenly see at this age are due to the fact that his mind is a lot more developed than his skills. Your baby now knows what he wants, but is not aware of how to get the things done.
All you can do in such cases is stay calm and patient rather than screaming at him.
22 Month Old Baby Development:
This is the time when your baby shows signs of readiness.
1. Just in case you are tired of changing diapers, you can now toilet train him. Your baby can now recognize the difference between wet and dry.
2. He can also hold on to his urge to urinate and release it in the designated place. His nervous system has matured more than before at this age.
3. You may now think of shifting your baby from the cot to the bed. Your baby will soon acclimatize to his new sleeping environment.
4. You can record his height on the wall of your house. He will be growing in fits and starts now.
[ Read : Fun Activities For Toddlers At Home ]
What To Do To Make Your Baby Engaged?
A baby who is bored will keep on whining. Your baby is likely to throw more tantrums and look at you and your partner for some entertainment. Take a look at what you can do during your 22 month baby development:
- This is the time when you should develop his interest in nature.
- Make some time to take him out for a walk or take him to the local park. He will also enjoy a trip to the zoo.
- Initiate activities and games that stimulate his brain and help him get started.
- There is no need to buy expensive toys; babies actually love the simple ones. Look for toys that come with a combination of sound, color and interactive options.
- To maintain the novelty of playing with something new, you can keep on rotating the toys.
- You will be making a mistake by expecting your baby to handle toys gently. If you are buying some special toys, your baby will require some amount of parental guidance. However, you must not hover every time if you want him to stay interested in the game.
[ Read : How To Teach Toddler To Read ]
How To Handle Emotional Meltdowns?
Emotional meltdowns are very common at this age. Look below for a detailed discussion:
- Tantrums generally result from fear, distress, frustration and misunderstanding. The best way to deal with it is through reassurance and empathy.
- In cases when you cannot keep your baby’s request, the best way is to walk away. Babies at this age become distressed easily and often get overwhelmed by the magnitude of their own feelings. This is the time when you should lend him support and assure that things will be fine.
- Dealing with your 22 months old is not easy and it is always better to keep a strategic plan of action ready. There will be times when you will have to abandon your plans and make a fast exit.
[ Read : Emotional Development In Early Childhood ]
It is better if you adopt a valuable strategy of distraction to deal with him at this age. Whenever you find him about to throw tantrums, you can bring to his notice something that grabs his immediate attention. Widened eyes and sharp intonation of your voice have positive effects while heading off alarming meltdowns.
You must not neglect your health while looking after your baby. Babies who find their parents prioritizing their own health and working to stay fit learn that it is valuable and important. You should not feel guilty taking care of yourself as your baby actually benefits from this.
Moms tell us how you manage your days with your 22 months baby in the comment section below.
- Baby’s 24th Month – A Guide To Development And Milestones
- Baby’s 20th Month – A Guide To Development And Milestones
- Baby’s 21st Month – A Guide To Development And Milestones
- Baby Teeth – A Guide To Its Order and Appearance
- 4 Major Signs of Physical Development In Early Childhood