You must have heard teens and adults complain of body odor but did you know that even your little one may suffer from it? Do you know that while some kinds of body odor in babies are normal others may demand medical attention? Read on to know more about the different types of odor in babies and their causes.
Normal Types Of Body Odor In Babies:
Some of the body odors that are very common among babies for which you need not worry about are:
1. Milky Odor:
Babies often smell of milk. The peculiar body odor fades away when your baby’s milk intake reduces and she graduates to a solid diet.
2. Sour Odor:
Sometimes your baby might have a sour body odor especially when she spits up. She may even have an unpleasant body odor when the dust gets trapped in her under arms or neck area. The lack of personal hygiene can lead to fungal infection, irritation and redness of the skin.
[ Read: Hygiene Tips For Babies ]
Causes Of Body Odor In Babies:
Some of the common causes of baby body
- Pollution and Heat
- Dietary Imbalance
- Unhygienic surroundings
[ Read: Metabolic Disorder In Babies ]
How To Deal With Your Baby’s Body Odor:
Here are few ways in which you can take into consideration if your baby has body odor:
- Pay attention to cleaning your baby’s neck folds and under arms well while bathing her.
- Pat her dry after bathing.
- Apply baby powder for body odor generously to reduce sweating.
- Wash her face and wipe her neck well after each meal.
- Always make sure that she is wearing fresh socks and dry shoes.
- You can also use light herbs like Rosemary while massaging your baby with oil.
If your baby still suffers from body odor consult a baby skin specialist and check for necessary cures.
[ Read: Step-By-Step Guide To Bathe Your Baby ]
Abnormal Types Of Body Odor In Babies:
If your baby has a weird body odor, it may indicate an underlying health problem. Some abnormal body odors in babies are the following:
- Fish odor: If your baby is suffering from primary trimethylaminuria or the fish odor syndrome she will have an enzyme deficiency that prevents her body from breaking down trimethylamine. TMA is a byproduct of digestion produced by the stomach bacteria. Babies with this genetic disorder emit TMA through their breath, sweat and urine. 
- Maple Syrup Odor:If your baby’s urine smells like maple syrup, it can be because of a genetic condition called Maple syrup urine disease (MSUD). Due to this metabolic disorder, your baby cannot break down certain proteins and a build-up of such chemicals in her blood can give her urine a sweet smell. In severe cases of MSUD, a baby can suffer from brain damage during times of physical stress. 
- Musty Odor:Phenylketonuria (PKU) is a congenital metabolic disorder that causes your baby’s tiny body to emit a musty odor. Due to PKU your baby cannot metabolise phenylalanine. A build-up of the amino acid in her blood and brain can lead to learning disabilities, behavioural difficulties, epilepsy, and cause damage to her brain and nervous system. 
[ Read: Symptoms Of Phenylketonuria (PKU) In Babies ]
If your baby suffers from any of the above types of body odor, consult a doctor immediately. Do not panic as early treatment and dietary changes can help your baby win the battle against unpleasant body odor.
Did your baby suffer from body odor problem? What treatment did the doctor advice? Share your experience and advice with us.
- How To Trim Your Baby’s Nails?
- 7 Easy Steps To Clean Your Baby’s Nose Using A Bulb Syringe
- How To Take Care Of Your Baby’s Teeth?
- Cradle Cap For Babies – Symptoms, Remedies & Treatments You Should Be Aware Of