Imagination and fantasy are what rules the mind of your 24 months old baby. Her games are all the more sophisticated, and she spends a lot of time playing them. Play time accompanies role playing characters at this age.
While monitoring the developmental patterns of your little one, you must remember there is nothing like a “normal growth pattern”. Milestones reflect what you can expect next. This will help make you a little more assured as a parent. Read more on 24 month old development checklist.
24 Months Old Baby Development Milestones:
Your baby imbibes new skills all through the year. Here we shall discuss the 24 month developmental milestones.
1. Communication Skills:
Your baby can now structure sentences with verbs, adverbs and also adjectives.
- Your baby may use gestures to communicate with you.
- She is now capable of comprehending and may start talking any time.
- The most important thing is that she is capable of communicating, even if it is through gestures.
- She can now structure sentences using verbs and other complicated words.
[ Read : How To Teach Toddler To Read ]
2. Cognitive Skills:
Your baby at this age has assimilated behaviors of elders at home. She is now learning by imitating you.
- Playing grownup is her favorite pastime. She loves dressing up and makes typical gestures like you or your partner.
- She may also try wearing your clothes.
- Your baby will want to take her decisions and you will have to allow it. When you need to take a decision you must be firm and in charge, yet be subtle.
[ Read : How To Discipline Your Toddler ]
3. Fine Motor Skills:
Your baby at this age has developed fine motor skills and is capable of the following:
- She can climb the stairs without any help. You must always be near her when she is around stairs.
- She will love to run around at this age and grab things with both hands.
- She will enjoy finger painting with pencils or crayons.
4. Sleep Patterns:
Your baby is now more independent when it comes to sleeping.
- You may find her reluctant during bed time. However, you need to be firm and ensure she follows the daily routine.
- A nap for a maximum of 2 hours is sufficient at this age.
- Do not stretch the bedtime rituals too long.
- Put your baby in bed while awake and do not allow her to sleep on the sofa or other areas of the house.
[ Read : Language Development Tips For Toddlers ]
Parenting Your 24 Months Old Baby Development:
You need to remember that your baby is too young to understand the difference between “good” and “bad”. Do not expect her to understand the standards of acceptable behavior. Be patient till she distinguishes between good and bad. Till then keep in mind the things discussed below:
- Setting a regular routine at this age is important. This will set familiarity and a regular structure. It is a good way to make her feel secured. Behavioral limits are best set when in a routine.
- The most effective guidelines you can set are as follows:
- A repeated pattern will help her know what to expect.
- Your baby at this age is busy exploring the world around her. You will be making a mistake by stopping her from experimenting.
- She needs more attention than before. If you do not shower her with the attention she seeks, it might cause major problems in the future.
- Praising or rewarding her good behavior is very essential. Rewarding is a way to shower your attention on her.
- Smile at your child. It will provide her the necessary encouragement.
- You need to be firm and try not to give in to her pleas.
- She must also slowly develop the habit of falling asleep without you. You can put her in bed and leave the room quietly. A gentle approach shall work best in this case.
[ Read : Emotional Development In Early Childhood ]
Fear – A Common Characteristic:
You may start noticing your baby demonstrating fear in different events and things. You may find her getting scared over things like animals, insects, strangers or darkness during bedtime.
It is normal, and you should help her in the transition from the fearful state to a normal one as early as possible. The best way you can handle this situation is by positively, consistently and calmly reassuring her.
The Terrible Twos:
You are not alone if you feel your baby has the case of “terrible twos”. Parents of many children of this age admit that their children will not listen to them at any cost. The best way you can get her attention is by getting down to her level and making eye contact while speaking. This is a technique of garnering her attention and putting across your point. Be empathetic while teaching her tolerance to help her develop self-esteem.
All babies exhibit such behavior, so do not feel alone. Your baby is just beginning to exhibit her independence, express herself and experiment with her limits. You as a parent must redirect her behavior and make her aware of the ones that are inappropriate and intolerable.
Remember, hitting your baby out of rage and anger will only harm her and do no good. So make sure you are not hitting her in any way. With patience and time, both of you shall outgrow this stage.
Moms tell us the how you enjoy this wonderful phase of watching your 24 months baby developmental milestones and how you deal with it in the comment section below.
- Toddler’s Development From 25 to 27 Months – A Complete Guide
- Baby’s 22nd Month – A Guide To Development And Milestones
- Baby’s 21st Month – A Guide To Development And Milestones
- Baby’s 20th Month – A Guide To Development And Milestones