Is your toddler suffering from acute scalp itching problem, caused due to the presence of dandruff? Do you want to take appropriate curative measures to help your kids get rid of the dandruff problems? You need to read the following article, which adequately describes the causes and preventive measures to cure dandruff in toddlers.
Dandruff looks like white flakes, which are deposited on the scalp. The condition of dandruff problems is termed seborrhea dermatitis in the scientific term. It is a common occurrence in people of all age group. Toddlers often seem to get affected by dandruff problems accompanied with severe scalp itchiness and in some conditions the toddler may also suffer from the problem of hair fall. In this article, we are discussing some of the common causes and symptoms of dandruff problems in toddlers (1).
Causes Of Dandruff In Toddlers:
There are many causes of dandruff problems in toddlers. Few of such causes are as follows:
- Significant growth of Ma
- Eczema: Toddlers suffering from the disease of eczema are often seen to encounter dandruff problems. Eczema is a skin disease initiated by fungal deposition on the scalp. The disease of eczema is hereditary and often seen to run in families. The scalp turns to suffer from severe itching and turns dry and flaky (3).
- Contact Dermatitis: In many cases, usage of chemical hair products can often lead to cause contact dermatitis. The problem of contact dermatitis triggers dandruff formation in toddlers. Some of the symptoms of contact dermatitis are scaling, flaking and severe scalp itching (4).
- Overproduction of skin oil: Excessive production of skin oil or sebum from the hair follicles can often lead to the deposition of Malassezia (fungus) on the scalp and thus initiates dandruff formation.
- Skin dryness: If the skin of your toddlers is dry, due to changing atmospheric conditions, the white flakes are predominantly seemed to get deposited on the scalp (5).
- Unhygienic habits: The skin of the toddler’s scalp becomes dry and flaky, if the shampooing is not frequently done. The dead skin cells seem to accumulate on the surface of the scalp and lead to cause dandruff deposition.
[ Read: Steps To Prevent Eczema In Toddlers ]
Symptoms Of Dandruff Problems In Toddlers:
Although severe itching is one of the common symptoms of seborrhea, some of the other visible signs to watch out for in a toddler with dandruff are:
- Mild redness in the affected scalp region
- Temporary hair loss
- Dry skin on the forehead, face or eyebrows (6)
How To Treat Dandruff In Toddlers?
In most of the cases, mild dandruff problems of toddlers can be treated by shampooing the hair every day by keeping the scalp moisturized and dust free. Use of medicated shampoos and regular shampooing will reduce oil deposition on the scalp and thus dirt would not get accumulated. To reduce the irritation of scalp usage of cortisone creams are also suggested by the medical physicians.
Some of the effective toddler dandruff shampoos may include:-
- Zinc pyrithione shampoos
- Selenium sulfide shampoos
- Salicylic acid shampoos
- Ketoconazole shampoos (7)
[ Read: Tips To Wash Toddler’s Hair ]
When To Visit The Doctor For Dandruff Treatment?
Mild problems of dandruff can normally be treated with the regular usage of medicated shampoos and keeping the toddler’s scalp clean and dirt free. But if the problem of itchiness or flakiness persists for the longer duration of time, it is greatly recommended to visit the medical practitioner (dermatologist).
In some cases, the problems of scalp itchiness are difficult to treat, and the problem may get worse with the passage of days. If your toddler’s dandruff problem is not treated after subsequent usage of dandruff shampoos and the scalp skin turns red and swollen, contact your medical consultant immediately (8).
[ Read: Hives In Toddlers ]
With all above precautionary measures, toddlers can be effectively treated and kept away from dandruff problems. If your toddler is suffering from similar symptoms of seborrhea, do not get frightened. Consult an experienced dermatologist and acquire requisite guidance to treat toddler dandruff problem effectively.
Did your little ones faced dandruff problems? What measures were taken by you? Please share your valuable advice with all the other moms here.