Does your toddler suffer from allergic reactions to certain foods? Does he have egg allergies? If you said yes, consider reading our post. Here we talk all about egg allergy symptoms in toddlers, how do they occur, and how they affect your little one.
Toddlers often develop egg allergies in the early stages. Consuming eggs can make your little angel feel queasy and sick, which can lead to allergic reactions.
What Is An Egg Allergy?
An egg allergy is a negative chemical reaction that occurs due to eating eggs. Eggs are allergic foods, and can often induce allergic reactions in infants and toddlers. Sometimes, your toddler’s underdeveloped immunity system will find it hard to fight against the egg proteins. The immune system will trigger an allergic reaction, and your little one may suffer from skin rashes or improper digestion.
Symptoms Of Egg Allergy In Toddlers:
How do you know if your little one has egg allergies? Well, we make your job easier. Some common toddler egg
- Skin inflammation or hives
- Digestion trouble, such as stomach cramps, nausea and vomiting.
- Signs of Asthma, including coughing, sneezing, breathing disorder or chest tightness.
- Nasal congestion
- Itching around the mouth
- Rapid heartbeat
- Low blood pressure
- Anaphylaxis (less common) (1)
[ Read: Symptoms Of Hives In Toddlers ]
Causes Of Egg Allergy In Toddlers:
The overreaction of your toddler’s immunity system can trigger food allergies in his body. When your toddler’s immune system fights the egg proteins, it releases histamine and other chemicals. These chemicals induce allergic reactions (2).
[ Read: Food Allergy In Toddlers ]
Risk Of Suffering From Egg Allergy?
Your toddler may be at a greater risk of contracting egg allergies:
- It runs in the family. If you or your partner suffers from allergic reactions, your toddler is at a greater risk of contracting egg allergies.
- If, your toddler contracts skin conditions like Atopic dermatitis, he is more prone to suffer from an egg allergy (3).
[ Read: Common Allergies In Toddlers ]
Diagnosing Egg Allergy In Toddlers:
Your pediatrician may suggest different medical tests, to diagnose the extent of allergic reactions in your toddler’s body. Some of the medical tests include:
- Blood test
- Skin prick test
- Food challenge
- Food tracking or food elimination diet tests (4)
Treating Egg Allergy In Toddlers:
To treat egg allergies, you should consider following some steps like:
- Medications including Antihistamines can cure the symptoms of egg allergies in toddlers.
- Toddlers who suffer from the severe allergic reaction also suffer from Anaphylaxis. In such severe cases, emergency epinephrine injectors can help your toddler get relief.
- If your toddler’s symptoms seem to worsen, consider taking to a doctor immediately. (5)
Egg Allergy-Inducing Foods To Avoid:
If your toddler suffers from egg allergies, avoid feeding him egg-based processed food products, which include:
- Puddings and custards
- Salad dressing
- Pretzels (6)
[ Read: Nasal Congestion In Toddlers ]
Preventing Egg Allergy In Toddlers?
So, now that you know about egg allergies and how they happen let’s look at some preventive measures:
- Read the food labels on any packaged food you get for your toddler. Look for foods that are eggless.
- Inform your toddler’s babysitter or teacher, about his food allergies.
- If you are a breastfeeding mother, avoid consuming eggs. It will help your little darling prevent egg allergies. (7)
Observation can help you understand whether your toddler is allergic to any foods. If so, try to avoid these foods. A little bit of caution can further your toddler’s well-being.
Is your toddler suffering from egg allergy? What were necessary precautions you took? Share your experiences with fellow mommies here.
- 6 Unexpected Symptoms Of Hay Fever In Toddlers
- Food Poisoning In Toddlers – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
- Loss Of Appetite In Toddlers – Causes & Symptoms You Should Be Aware Of
- Impetigo In Infants And Toddlers – 4 Causes, 5 Symptoms & 8 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of