Has your toddler suddenly taken to watching TV all of a sudden? Do you feel he is getting hooked to watching TV more frequently? Has he started throwing tantrums at home whenever you switched off the TV?
If your toddler seems glued to the television more than his playing set, it’s time you know how it can affect your little one. Read on to know more about toddlers and TV.
Is TV Always Bad For Your Toddler?
According to a research shared by the TIME magazine, toddler watching TV before or at preschool age are at a greater risk as compared to toddlers who do not watch TV. Watching TV at such a young age can show some serious consequences by the time they reach age 10. By the time the toddler will reach age 10, he is likely to be picked on by classmates, get disinterested at school, eat unhealthy and become obese .
Watching TV has always been considered harmful, especially at a very young age or for your toddler. While almost all child experts are unanimous about their v
10 Dangers Of Watching TV For Toddlers:
Here are ten effects of TV on toddlers that can affect adversely:
1. It Can Permanently Damage The Brain Structure Of Your Toddler:
According to a research, watching too much TV can permanently change your toddler’s brain structure. 
- If your toddler spends too much time in watching TV, he will have a higher amount of grey matter near his front polar cortex. It is the area that is located at the front part of your toddler’s frontal lobe. Such a condition can mean your toddler may have difficulty in his verbal intelligence.
- While your toddler watches TV, he may experience a lot of educational content. However, the pace of knowledge that your toddler gets from watching TV does not always vary or increase as per your toddler’s mental capabilities. It means your toddler may have a damaging effect on his cognitive functions.
[ Read: Interesting Summer Activities For Toddlers ]
2. There Are No Real Educational Benefits For Toddlers Under 2 Years:
Till the time your toddler does not reach the age of two years, there is no real educational benefit in watching TV.
- Whatever your toddler watches on TV is pre-programmed and may not always correlate to your toddler’s cognitive abilities.
- In fact, your toddler may have a very distorted image of the real world from the education he receives from watching TV. He may also have problems relating to real people if he gets used to watching virtual characters at an early age.
3. It Takes Away Precious Time From Your Toddler:
Getting used to watching TV will mean that your toddler loses a lot of real time that he could use in real situations.
- Being around real people and in real time situations will help your toddler develop his various brain functions.
- When your toddler plays with other children his age and sees real things, he will learn much more than he will learn from watching TV.
4. It Numbs Any Initiatives:
When your toddler is constantly exposed to TV, it can numb his thinking abilities and more.
- Certain TV shows may teach your toddler, but they can also dissuade him from taking any initiative himself.
- As the TV shows come with every idea and activity pre-programmed, there is not much scope for your toddler to take an initiative and think or do something.
[ Read: Fun Physical Activities For Toddlers ]