Are you a parent of a small baby or a young child? Do you often find yourself worrying about what is the right approach to parenting? Do you and your children often have issues understanding each other? Do you find it difficult to make your child listen to you without arguing or threatening? Are you looking for some effective and best parenting tips that can help reduce such parenting stress?
If you can relate to the situation above, or you are simply looking for some effective and positive parenting tips, read our post here. Here we talk about ten effective and good parenting skills and tips to make parenting easier and more enjoyable for both you and your child:
1. Be Firm And Fair:
As a parent, it is your duty to ensure you treat your child.
- You are a parent and there are times when you will have to be firm with your child about certain things. Once you take a stand, ensure you stick to it and do not give in to your child’s begging. However, remember that you need to
- While you are firm sometimes, it is also important to ensure that you remain fair. Understand what can and cannot be done and set rules accordingly.
[ Read: Tips To Understand Child Psychology ]
2. Be A Parent And A Friend Too:
There is no better way to help your child listen to you than by sometimes taking on the role of a friend.
- It is important you play the role of a parent with your child, but it is also a good idea to let your child find a friend in you.
- Once you develop that bond with your child, you will notice that it becomes easier for your child to confide in you. Your child may also feel it easier to listen to you instead of refusing each time.
3. Hand Out Responsibilities To Your Child:
As you hand out the responsibility to your child, it gives him a sense of growing up that makes him want to perform better in front of you.
- Let your child take care of smaller things at home, as per his age. It will tell him that you trust his abilities.
- Ask your child to look after a plant and water it regularly, or feed the pet, set the table for meal times, etc.
[ Read: Teaching Children To Be Responsible ]
4. Reward And Appreciate When Appropriate:
Praising your child for a good job will help increase his self-confidence and also want him to do better the next time.
- While it is important to tell your child when they make a mistake, it is also important to applaud them when they do something praiseworthy.
- Make sure you tell your child how proud you feel when they behave a certain way or do certain things.
5. Learn To Listen To Your Child:
It is important you listen to him to understand any concerns he has. This is also considered one of the best tips for good parenting.
- Make sure you listen to his point of view and don’t shrug it off as childish behavior.
- When you know what your child is thinking and how it may affect a particular situation, it will help you understand things better.
[ Read: Parental Influence On Child Development ]
6. Practice What You Preach:
As a parent, you are your child’s first and biggest role model.
- You need to back up whatever you teach your child at home. Ask your partner to help you out.
- If he feels that you are asking them to do something while doing the wrong thing yourself, it will send out confusing messages.
7. Do Not Scold Or Shame Your Child In Front Of Others:
It is important to scold your child if needed, but not in front of others.
- If you have to scold your child, do it in the privacy of your home, in a logical and grown-up way and without any yelling.
- Scolding or shaming him in front of others will rob your child’s self-confidence and may also make him stubborn and negative.
[ Read: Ways to Boost Confidence in Kids ]
8. Show Your Love:
This is one of the best and effective parenting tips. Just as you show your anger or disapproval, it is important to show you show him, love.
- Make sure you hug your child regularly and tell him how much you love him.
- Also tell him that while you do sometimes scold him, it is for his good, as you love him more than anything else in the world.
9. Take An Interest In Your Child’s Life:
Show genuine interest in your child’s life and be excited about any new event.
- Talk to your child on a regular basis about his day and what he did at school or even at home.
- Make an effort to know his favorite movies and watch them together, know his friends and be interested in the small things your child loves.
10. Spend Quality Time Together:
Spending time with your child is very important, even if you can spend only a few hours a day.
- You may not have enough time each day to spend with him, but make the most of whatever little time you do have.
- Talk to him, play with him, take him out for walks or a children’s theater or movie, enroll in weekend workshops and do things that will make those moments special.
Being a parent is a tough job but has some of the best perks in the world, and seeing your child happy is one of them. Make sure you follow these effective parenting skills above to make parenting a fun and responsible journey. Any good parenting tips to share? Do comment below.
- 5 Simple Tips To Make Your Kids Overcome Shyness
- 10 Simple Tips To Help Your Child Make And Keep Friends
- 10 Parenting Tips To Handle A Highly Sensitive Child
- 29 Tips To Help You Become A Better Parent
- 10 Parenting Styles You Should Be Aware Of