Is your child suffering from bleeding gums when brushing? Does he suffer from loose teeth and gum discoloration? If you said yes to either question, chances are, your little angel has a gum disease. What is a gum disease? How do you spot it? How do you treat it? Read our post and get the answers here.
What Is A Gum Disease?
A gum disease is an inflammation of bone and tissues that support’s your child’s teeth. It is also popular as periodontal disease. If a gum disease doesn’t receive appropriate medical attention, your child’s teeth may become loose and fall out eventually. So check out with a dentist as soon as you discover your child suffering from a gum disease. (1)
[ Read: Causes Behind Discolored Teeth In Children ]
Causes Of Gum Disease In Children:
Gum disease in kids occurs due to the buildup of plaque. Plaque is a sticky, invisible layer of germs that develop on your child’s gums and teeth naturally. Plaque possesses bacteria producing toxins, which irritate, h
Signs of Gum Disease In Children:
What are symptoms of a gum disease in children? Your little one may exhibit one or more of the following symptoms.
- Bleeding gums when brushing or flossing.
- Loose teeth.
- Bad breath that doesn’t go away.
- Discoloration of gums.
- Plaques or white spots on the gums.
- Pus between the teeth or gums.
- Gums appear like they are pulling away from teeth.
- Spaces opening up between the teeth. (2)
[ Read: Remedies To Cure Bad Breath In Children ]
Treating Gum Diseases In Children:
There are several treatments to treat gum diseases in children. Some prominent treatments that dentist suggest, include:
1. Root Planning Or Scaling:
Root planning is deep-cleaning the root surfaces above and below the gum line to remove the bacteria, calculus and dental plaque that result in a gum disease. Scaling helps your child experience a substantial reduction in the symptoms of periodontal disease.
[ Read: Chipped Tooth in Kids ]
Dentists prescribe antibiotics along with root planning or scaling to curb the expansion of the infection and inflammation in your child’s mouth. He can use antibiotics containing fibers or gels, which you need to place in gum pockets, and medicated mouthwashes to kill all harmful bacteria and promote healing of gums. (3)
In an advanced stage of periodontal disease, the dentist may recommend an operation to open up and clean affected gum pockets. After surgery, the surgeon stitches your child’s gums back into place to make them fit more tightly around the teeth.
4. Gingival Grafting:
If a gum tissue suffers great damage that it is impossible to treat and sew back, the dentist may remove a healthy gum tissue from another part of the mouth and stitch in place of damaged tissue. The graft replaces the damaged tissue and aids to anchor the teeth helping your little one have better appearance and dental health.
[ Read: Symptoms Of Tooth Abscess In Children ]
Preventing Gum Diseases In Children:
Following certain measures can help prevent the risk of development of gum problems in children. Here are some effective prevention tips you need for your kids gum disease follow:
- Brush the teeth thoroughly twice every day for at least three minutes each time. Floss daily.
- Brush with a toothpaste containing fluoride. He can also use mouth rinses containing fluoride.
- Use a soft toothbrush having polished bristles since they won’t harm the gum tissue. Replace the toothbrush after every three to four months.
- Follow a healthy diet. Prevent him from eating junk foods that are full of sugar that is favorable for the growth of plaque-causing bacteria.
- Visit the dentist regularly for routine dental care. Go for cleaning at least twice every year. (4)
Did your child ever suffer from a gum disease? What did you do about it? Share your experience with us here. Leave a comment below.
- 13 Unexpected Signs And Symptoms Of Gingivostomatitis In Children
- Bruxism In Kids – 6 Causes, 4 Symptoms & 8 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- 4 Simple Tips To Teach Your Kids To Brush The Right Way
- Canker Sores In Children – 11 Causes & 7 Remedies You Should Be Aware Of