As a parent, you are probably tuned in to your child’s demands for a pizza or a burger, so much so that now this eating pattern has become almost normal.
If you thought that giving in to the junk food whims of your child was harmless, we are sorry to break the bubble!
A Major Concern World-Wide:
These days, every locality and every mall has a junk food outlet, dishing out fries, pizzas, burgers, rolls and what have you! It is a great concern world-wide that children in their growing years form the larger part of such outlet’s consumers.
It is truly a challenge to keep away your child from these very less nutritious yet delicious junk food. The growing awareness of the effects of junk food is slower than the pace of the effect it has on your child.
Understanding all about junk food and how to replace it with healthy eating is something we are sure will help you be a better ‘food-police’ the next time.
[ Read: How To Correct Bad Habits Of Kids ]
Let’s Move It:
Talking of junk food and fads, t
What Substances Make Food ‘Junk’?
Unlike other cuisine, junk food has negligible nutrition value. Take a closer look at the contents that are usually present in junk foods.
The topping has sauces and blobs of mayonnaise. Salt is present in ample quantity in all the sauces used on these toppings and fillings of burgers, French fries and salads.
2. Processed Contents:
Junk food is more processed and has less natural nutrients. It has a very less fibre which gives energy.
[ Read: Healthy Eating Tips for Kids ]
Hot dogs, burgers and sandwiches have slabs of cheese layered on the filling. These also have mayonnaise spread on it which also contains excessive fat. The oil used for the fries is fattening.
4. Added Sugar:
The quantities of added sugar in the food and beverages are alarmingly higher than any other sweet food that we usually consume. Not to ignore the added food colors in the sodas and colas.
Top Ten Effects Of Junk Food On Children:
Junk food effects on health of children are many and appalling. Here are the top ten reasons why you should ensure your child stays away from junk food:
1. Increased Blood Pressure:
The sodium in the salt increases the blood pressure.
- This is the root cause of hypertension.
- This in turn weakens the circulatory system of the body.
Your child probably gets a feeling of fullness in the tummy while consuming junk food.
- It is bereft of carbohydrate and protein which give energy.
- Your child becomes are tired and drained out.
- As a result, it becomes difficult for your child to perform the daily tasks.
3. Less Emotional Quotient:
Hormonal imbalance is a major change experienced in the growing years of 6-12.
- Your child will experience a lot of mood swings and changes in behavior.
- A nutritious diet is essential to maintain a healthy, hormonal balance which junk food will deprive your child of.
- Depression is one of the common effects of junk food addiction.
4. Kidney Disease:
Increased blood pressure affects the kidney’s function.
- A common effect of increased Sodium levels is Edema-water retention in the body.
- It is one of the signs of a dysfunctional kidney.