As a parent, understanding your child is something you start doing from probably the first day your baby is born. This is undoubtedly one of the most essential things that you must learn as a responsible parent. From teething pains to colic to nappy change and later teenage troubles, understanding a child is never easy. But doing so will help you in guiding and nurturing your children as they grow up. Your child has a unique personality and trait which stays consistent throughout their life. Your aim will be to understand this personality and work around it, and not try and change it completely.
What Is Child Psychology?
Understanding psychology of a child is the key to decipher your child’s wants and needs. As a parent, there will be many instances when your opinion will tend to differ from that of your child. This can often result in an unpleasant situation. To make dealing with your kids a little easier, you need to establish a healthy relationship with them. This will
20 Tips To Understand Child Psychology:
Increasing familiarity with psychology of children is a daunting task indeed. You are expected to be really patient while trying to understand your child’s requirements. The following tips can help you to create a friendly relationship with your child while understanding him/her better:
1. Observance Is The First Key:
One of the best ways to under the psychology of your child is to observe his or her activities.
- This will help you to know the way he or she plays, eats food, draws, sleeps, communicates with others, and the like.
- You will find many traits that are consistent in nature.
- Observe whether your child is able to adjust to changes easily or takes time to settle down.
- Not all kids have similar traits as they tend to differ in personality.
- Remember that your child too will have a special personality.
[ Read: Parenting The Highly Sensitive Child ]
2. Distinguish Your Role As A Parent And As A Friend:
You need to clarify your role as a parent and as a friend by setting a few limits on your own.
- You need to be a good friend at times because it would encourage your kid to have a pleasant interaction with you.
- Do not let your ‘parent-side’ take over while having a friendly conversation with your child. Instead, offer a wise judgment as a friend would do, without blaming your child for any mistake he or she might have committed.
- This is important because when you think like a parent, your judgment tends to get a bit different and would prevent the kids from discussing various issues further on.
- Make sure you don’t spoil your kid, but offer sufficient space to make him understand about your view too.
3. Spend Time With Your Kid:
When you spend very less time with your kid, you might not have an intimate relationship with him/her
- You have to spend more time with your child and get yourself involved in his life, know his friends and such.
- This would make him comfortable in discussing his issues openly with you.
- Whether you have a tight work schedule or an important meeting, set aside a few minutes, to stay in touch with your kid and let him know you are there for him.
4. Teach Your Child To Be responsible:
This can be the toughest thing in your life as a parent.
- As a parent you have to make your kid realize his responsibilities at an earlier stage. This will help your child in the future.
- If your child pours milk in his mug without spilling, encourage his actions and praise him for being responsible.
- If your child puts back all the toys in the box after playing, it indicates he is responsible.
- Encourage your kid, as it would help him realize his responsibilities and be independent.
5. Listen To Your Kid:
Children expect their parents to take them seriously and listen to what they are saying.
- Listen to your kid without being judgmental.
- Understand his point of view and reasoning.
- If you do not agree to something, discuss with him what your concerns are.
- Do not make it into a blame game.
- Support and encourage him. If required, tell him that what he did was not good, but you still love him.