Cellulite can happen to anyone and this includes your teen as well. It is important that you have a proper understanding of cellulite formation so that you can act upon it before it is too late. Note that cellulite is more common among teenage girls than teenage boys.
Though there are no effective cures to fight cellulite formation, there are many things that you can do to improve your teen’s overall fitness and body image.
What Is Cellulite In Teens?
Teen cellulite is a type of body fat.
- You will generally notice it around your teen’s buttocks, thighs and hips.
- The cellulite remains hidden just under your teen’s skin. The amount of deposition is influenced by genetics. This factor determines where the cellulites are deposited.
Some other factors that influence increase in cellulite are as follows:
- Unhealthy diet
- Slow metabolism
- Fad diets
[ Read: Physical Development In Adolescence ]
What You Can Do?
While teens generally have cellulite, if you
Follow healthy dietary restrictions and ensure your teen takes fibre, grains, whole grains and vegetables judiciously.
Make sure your teen drinks plenty of water daily.
Your teen must refrain from smoking.
Ensure that your teen avoid fad diets and yo-yo diets. Losing weight over a considerable amount of time is much better compared to shedding those extra kilos in a few days.
[ Read: Effect Of Smoking On Teenagers ]
The following commercial treatments are also available in the market to get rid of cellulite in teenagers:
- Cosmetic surgery or liposuction
- Dietary supplements
- Fad diets
- Body wraps
However, these are not advisable and can also worsen your teen’s condition.
You need to keep in mind that no matter what causes cellulites, there are no miracle products, medicines or treatments. While some of the treatments can temporarily reduce the appearance of your teen’s cellulites, they are not going to last long.
Mesotherapy and liposuction are expensive options that are designed to remove fat from deep within. Cellulite is located close to the skin which makes these measures less effective.
[ Read: Diet Chart For Teenage Girl ]
How You Can Help As A Parent?
As a parent you have a big responsibility to ensure that your child does not lose his or her precious self-confidence. Here are a few tips that will help parents to deal teens with cellulite:
- You need to remind your teen that the models and stars have special makeup artists to hide their blemishes and imperfections.
- Help your teen pay special attention to health issues.
- If your teen feels he or she is overweight, help them follow the simple formula of eating less and exercising more.
Practical Tips To Follow:
Your teen can benefit from these helpful and practical suggestions:
- Teens should exercise 5 days a week to ensure mental and physical wellbeing.
- To bring out your teen’s best features, you need to buy them the right dresses. Choose the ones that hide flaws.
- Encourage your teen to think of all the positives in them. Talk about their talents, kindness, intelligence and sense of humor.
- Focus on your teen’s positive aspects. Your teen’s self-esteem, smile and friendliness go a long way in establishing a positive image.
- You need to tell your teen that his or her body will undergo several changes with age. While they may like some of them they may have to work on the rest. With a positive attitude your teen can always change the way they look.
[ Read: Fitness Tips For Teenagers ]
If nothing works, you can get in touch with a nutritionist for a customized diet chart and exercise regimen for your teen. This will also help your teen to get rid of those unwanted cellulite. Talk to the doctor about your family history and any ailments that your teen might be suffering from.
Tell us how you handled cellulite in teens in the comments section below.
Reference : 1
- Top 10 Causes Of Stress In Teens
- 5 Simple Tips To Treat Stretch Marks In Teenagers
- 10 Important Teenage Behavioural Problems And Solutions
- 10 Symptoms Of Anxiety Disorder In Teenagers & 4 Simple Treatments To Cure It