Is your teen suffering from the problem of bad body odor? Do you want to know the effective remedies to help your teen get rid of such embarrassing situations? Then you have come to the right place.
This post talks about the causes of body odor in teens and how to get rid of teenage body odor problem. Would you like to know more? Keep reading.
What Is Body Odor?
Body odor, also known as bromhidrosis, is an unpleasant smell ejected from your body after sweating. When the bacteria get deposited on the outer skin of the body, the sweat produced is broken into acids, producing an unpleasant smell and odor (1).
Sweating Initiates Teenage Body Odor:
The sweat glands present in the human body are ultimately responsible for producing excessive sweating, and it gives rise to bad and unpleasant body odor in teens. Personal hygiene is exceptionally important for teenagers. A daily shower can help them resist the condition of perspiration and get rid of the bad body odor (2).
[ Read: Hygiene Tips For Teens ]
Causes Of Body Odor In Teens:
At the onset of puberty, teenagers face terrible problems of bad body odor and excessive sweating. The situations become even worse in a humid climate, and the teen has to face huge embarrassment. Some of the major causes of bad body odor problems are as follows: (3)
- Hormonal changes in the body- The hormonal changes encountered by teenagers are often responsible to cause teen body odor problems. During puberty, the sweat glands become more active (apocrine gland), and the sweaty region of the body like armpits or scalp starts producing a fatty form of sweat. This oily sweat can easily attract bacteria, which break down the sweat particles and produce an unpleasant odor from the body of teens.
- Poor hygiene- A teen not maintaining proper hygienic habits, like not taking a bath or not brushing his teeth regularly can often suffer from bad odor problems.
- Bad breath- Some of the teens addicted to harmful drugs or alcohols, also suffer from bad breath ejected out of their mouth. Bad breath or halitosis triggered due to bacterial deposition in the mouth and on the tongue of the teens.
- Suffering from chronic health diseases- Teens suffering from chronic health diseases like kidney or heart problems, often experience excessive sweating and bad body odor problems. The problem of excessive sweating known as hyperhidrosis is also susceptible to cause body odor in teens.
[ Read: Symptoms Of Heartburn In Teens ]
Treatments Of Body Odor In Teens:
There are many preventive measures, which can be eventually adopted by the teenagers to get rid of their unpleasant body odor problems. Some of such effective suggestions are as follows: (4)
- Keep the armpits clean and wash them with anti-bacterial soap, to prevent the hairy sweat glands from sweating and avoiding deposition of bacteria.
- Use strong Deodorant or antiperspirant, to prevent the bad body odor from the sweat producing glands of the body.
- Take a shower regularly and avoid deposition of odor-producing bacteria on your sweat glands.
- Wear clothes made from natural fibers like cotton or silk, to help the sweat evaporate from your skin cells.
- Avoid intake of spicy and oily foods, as it can initiate the process of sweating in teens.
- For the treatment of smelly feet or bromodosis, wash your feet regularly with plain water and wear cotton socks.
When To Seek Medical Advice?
If the condition of excessive sweating persists for the longer duration of time, it is recommended to seek requisite medical guidance. Teens suffering from liver disease, kidney disease, or diabetes can experience excessive sweats and need to visit the doctor, to treat the problem of bad body odor.
The treatment of body odor can help teenagers to live a stress-free life. They would not have to face any troublesome situations because of their bad smelling feet or body odor.
Did your teen suffer from bad body odor problems? What treatment did the doctor advice?
Share with us here!