What Is Bad Parenting?
Bad parenting basically refers to mistakes that many parents often commit, knowingly or unknowingly while bringing up their child. Such mistakes may harm their kids’ life to a considerable extent. Surprisingly, many parents don’t even realize their folly and continue parenting in the same manner. They are too busy with other responsibilities to take the time they need to learn about being an effective parent. Some find parenting too much of a chore and aren’t up to the task or in the worst case scenario, they are parents who simply don’t care enough.
As a parent, you should understand that your primary role is to shower love, affection and dedication upon your child. Your role demands involvement and sacrifice. As a good parent, your duty is not to provide your kid with everything that makes him/her happy, but also to teach manners and discipline so that he/she can grow up maturely and responsibly.
Effects of Bad Parenting
Studies have showed that i
- Kids, who at an early stage suffer from bad parenting, tend to show criminal behaviour and poor academic inclination.
- Bad parenting can directly or indirectly influence antisocial behaviours in children.
- Parents who lack skills in anger management and conflict resolution are likely to fail in sensitively dealing their children. This adversely affects the child and he/she doesn’t develop the skills to cope with anger, frustration and disappointment.
- On the other hand, parents who criticize their children harshly and publicly, fail to create a congenial atmosphere for their children to develop mentally.
- Ineffective parenting style can also lead to discouraging the child to attain proper education.
[ Read: Parenting Books ]
How to Control Bad Parenting Mistakes?
Here are some effective ways for you to handle bad parenting skills:
1. Don’t Scream At Your Kid:
It is quite natural to lose temper and at times raise our voices. But parents, who shout at every second to teach discipline to their kids, actually show bad parenting skill. So to avoid negative response, stop yelling at them. Instead make them understand the importance of manners and discipline in a friendly manner.
2. Get Involved:
It is a bad parenting skill, if you are not getting involved in your kid’s life. Try to build a relationship with your kid. This will develop a bond between the parent and the kid. The more you share your emotions with your kid, the more your kid will try to know you better and reveal more about him/her to you.
3. Don’t Forget What it is Like to be a Teenager:
As adults, we have our own responsibilities. We have to deal with stress, work, taking care of home etc. But you should not forget that your kid also have things to worry about. Be friendly, loving, and fair with them.
4. Allow Them to Make Their Own Choices:
If you wish to be a good parent, you have to allow your kid to make his/her own choices. You can only advice him/her. Your kid can learn from his/her mistake. If you are beside your kids always, they will not be able to take decisions independently.
5. Prevent Your Kids From Falling Prey to Harmful Addictions:
Due to lack of proper knowledge teens often commit mistakes and indulge in drugs, alcohol, sexual behaviours etc. These behaviours can seriously jeopardize their lives and obstruct their success. As a parent, it is your duty to guide your kids at each step, in the beginning, so that they do not stray away from the right path in life.
Always remember, bad parenting is not static. It can be easily overcome with love, affection and proper guidance. You can opt for various parenting counseling if you require more details on how you should deal with your kid. We hope the discussions will help you build a strong and loving relationship with your child.
- 10 Parenting Styles You Should Be Aware Of
- Top 10 Parenting Books You Should Definitely Read
- Top 10 Parenting Problems And Solutions
- Top 10 Ways To Enhance Your Parenting Skills