Have you just brought your little bundle of joy home and are getting ready to manage all those tiny clothes? Or are you preparing a little in advance as your delivery is around the corner by washing up those tiny clothes you have shopped for your baby? Well, if you can relate to any of the above situations reading this post is a good idea!
As you venture into motherhood, cleaning your baby’s clothes is something you will do most often. Read on to find eight handy tips that can help you keep your baby’s clothes clean and soft.
8 Tips On How To Wash Baby Clothes:
The following tips for washing baby clothes, that will help you keep your baby’s clothes spotless:
1. Read The Care Label Properly Before Washing Baby Clothes:
Your baby’s clothes will come with varied care labels, and you need to read each one of them carefully before washing.
- Not all care labels will be same, and there can be a lot of difference in the instructions in even clothes of the same brand.
- Make sure you read the care label on each piece of clothing separately before putting it into washing. It is especially important to do this before the first wash.
[ Read: Best Baby Product Brands ]
2. Instructions To Watch Out For:
Not all care labels may have the same instructions, but most of them will be common.
- Look for instructions that tell you whether to use hot or cold water to clean the clothes.
- You can wash some baby clothes in warm water while you may need to wash some only in cold water. Some baby clothes are not suitable for machine washing, and you need to wash them only by hand. While some baby clothes only require dry cleaning.
3. Check For Flame Retardant Instructions:
Certain baby clothes are flame retardant. It means they have undergone chemical treatment that will prevent them from burning easily in the event of a fire.
- Most care labels on your baby’s clothes will mention if the fabric is flame retardant. Your baby’s night clothes may be of a flame retardant material.
- Such fabrics need special care while washing, so make sure you read the label and instructions carefully.
4. Sort Out The Clothes In Separate Piles Before Washing:
Before you start washing newborn baby clothes, it is important to sort them first.
- One of the first rules of sorting clothes for washing is on the basis of color.
- You can also sort out your baby’s clothes depending on the temperature instructions that the care label suggests. You may need to make a separate pile of clothes that you need to wash in cold water and those that you need to wash in hot or warm water.
5. Sort Out The Cloth Diapers Separately:
Always sort out your baby’s cloth diapers and nappies and wash baby clothes separately.
- Ensure you keep all soiled and wet nappies and cloth diapers separately and do not mix them with any other clothes that need washing.
- Even wash the baby’s unsoiled cloth diapers or nappies separately. It will help prevent any spread of germs.
[ Read: How To Wash A Cloth Diaper ]
6. Select A Gentle Cleaning Product For Washing Baby Clothes:
You may feel it is a useless expense, but using specific products for your baby’s clothes will make a lot of difference.
- You can easily get a gentle cleaning product at any baby store. The products are a safe option instead of using regular detergent for cleaning your baby’s clothes. They are mostly fragrance-free or may have a very light scent. They are also chemical-free, hence will not cause any irritation to your baby’s sensitive skin.
- Make sure you mix the cleaning agent in water well before dipping the baby clothes in it. Also, ensure that you use the right quantity for the heap of clothes you plan to wash.
7. Understand The Type Of Special Cleaning Product For Baby Clothes:
While you may feel it is okay to pick up any cleaning product for baby clothes, the choice is vast.
- Read the instruction labels before selecting and using a detergent for washing baby clothes.
- You may be especially looking at a product that will help remove tough stains from your baby’s clothes. If yes, go for one that aims at that. You can also choose from a variety of options like pretreatment sprays, soaks, and sticks.
[ Read: Best Pail For Cloth Diapers ]
8. Regulate The Temperature Settings Of Your Washing Machine:
Before you start washing your baby’s clothes in the machine, it is important to set the temperature as per the wash requirement. Also, remember to select baby mode before you start the cleaning cycle of your washing machine.
- You must have already sorted out your baby’s washing clothes in separate piles. It means you have a separate pile of clothes that you need to wash in warm water and those that you need to clean in cool water. Adjust your washing machine’s temperature settings accordingly.
- If you find some clothes that do not mention the water temperature, you can go ahead and wash them in warm water. Also, always wash your baby’s cloth diapers and nappies in hot water to eliminate all germs.
Follow the tips on how to wash baby clothes mentioned above to ensure your baby’s clothes remain soft and do not harm his delicate skin.
Do let us know if you have any special tips on how to wash newborn clothes to add as well.
- 6 Steps To Effectively Clean Your Baby’s Clothes
- 5 Best Baby Burp Cloths You Should Try Today
- 5 Precautions To Take Care Of While Using Diapers
- 3 Different Ways To Fold Your Baby’s Cloth Diaper