Do you prefer raw rice ever since you have been expecting? Is eating rice during pregnancy safe for you and your baby? If you are skeptical about consuming rice while expecting, don’t worry! Read our post and get the solution to your dilemma here.
Rice is an unimpeachable staple food that many consume all over the world. People use rice to prepare a myriad of cuisines. Sometimes, pregnant women tend to suffer from pica, or an insatiable desire to consume raw foods, and rice is one of these foods. As a result, consumption of rice during pregnancy becomes a controversial issue. So let’s have a look at benefits and side-effects of consuming rice during pregnancy.
Benefits Of Eating Rice During Pregnancy:
1. Provides Instant Energy:
Rice contains high amounts of carbohydrates that energize your body immediately. So, rice acts as a fuel to keep you energetic and active when you are expecting (1).
[ Read: Best Energy Foods To Eat During Pregnancy ]
2. Strengthens Bones:
Rice is a rich source of vitamins, such as vitamin D, riboflavin, and thiamine. Also, rice contains plenty of minerals, such as calcium, iron, and fiber. So consuming rice during pregnancy ensures you have strong bones and teeth.
3. Prevents Constipation:
Rice contains ample of resistant starch that affects the bowel. It promotes the growth of beneficial bacteria for smooth, normal bowel movements during pregnancy. Thus, it prevents the health issues, such as constipation and hemorrhage, while you are expecting.
4. Helps Maintain Blood Pressure:
Rice possesses low sodium content. It helps regulate your blood pressure levels when you are pregnant. So, consuming an appropriate amount of rice ensures a safe delivery.
5. Prevents Risk Of Urino-Genital Infections:
Urinogenital’s infections can affect you and your baby adversely. Rice is a natural diuretic, which helps prevent the risk of urogenital infections in expecting moms. Consuming rice during pregnancy keeps you and your baby safe.
6. Promotes Brain Developments:
Brown rice contains neurotransmitter nutrients. Eating rice in pregnancy helps improves brain developments and improves your infant’s cognitive function.
[ Read: Nutritional Foods To Eat During Pregnancy ]
7. Boosts Immunity:
Rice contains antioxidants that are beneficial for expecting mothers. Antioxidants help boost you immunity and prevent the risk of infections (2).
[ Read: Tips To Boost Immune System During Pregnancy ]
8. Regulates Blood Glucose Levels:
Brown rice contains large amounts of insoluble of fibers and has low glycemic content. Thus, brown rice regulates your blood sugar levels. Eating brown rice during pregnancy also helps mitigate gestational diabetes.
9. Eliminates Cholesterol Problems:
Rice is a cholesterol-free food. So including rice in your diet during pregnancy helps balance your diet and keeps you safe from cholesterol issues.
Side Effects Of Eating Rice When Pregnant:
Despite numerous benefits of eating rice during pregnancy, there are a few risks that come along. Here we list some of these risks:
- Excess consumption of rice during pregnancy adds more pounds to your existing weight, and you become obese.
- White rice possesses a higher glycemic index (GI) than brown rice. White rice can boost your blood glucose levels and make you suffer from gestational diabetes.
- Research reveals that rice contains a substantial amount of arsenic that may lead to premature death or birth of a stillborn baby, if you consume an excess of rice. So avoid over-eating rice while pregnant (3).
A Word Of Caution:
Consult your physician to understand the appropriate quantity of rice to eat. Ensure that you don’t eat raw rice during this delicate time, as it contains harmful pesticides and other chemicals that cause complications for your little darling. So, avoid eating raw rice during pregnancy and stick to cooked rice to ensure your baby’s good health.
Did you experience food craving for raw rice during pregnancy? What did you do to overcome it? Tell us about your experiences! Leave a comment below.
- 9 Wonderful Benefits Of Consuming Almond Milk During Pregnancy
- 8 Amazing Benefits Of Pepper During Pregnancy
- 5 Health Benefits Of Eating Prunes During Pregnancy
- 8 Health Benefits Of Pistachios During Pregnancy