Getting pregnant is a delightful thing, one that can only be experienced first-hand! While many first babies are unplanned, there can be a lot of thought and anxiousness that goes into actually planning a baby.
If you are one of those who are planning to add that cute little addition to the family, checking the status through a urine test may be a common option. Most women use home pregnancy test kits to do a urine test. This is a quick way to indicate whether you are pregnant.
However, not all urine pregnancy tests done at home will be accurate.
The urine test at home proves to be effective when done under ideal circumstances. While the doctors suggest that this is the most effective way to get a quick result at home, there is a high chance of false positives or false negatives if not done correctly.
How Does The Urine Test Work?
The urine test that you can do at home using the pregnancy kit is actually quite simple. The test works by detecting the presence of a hormon
Meanwhile, a lot depends on how the test is carried out and the accuracy of the test kit while done at home or the clinic.
When To Do Urine Pregnancy Test At Home?
This is mostly the first doubt on your mind while planning a family. The timing of the test largely determines the accuracy of the result. Many women, in a rush to know if they are pregnant, end up taking the test the morning after having intercourse. This is incorrect, as at such short interval it ends up giving the wrong results.
Considering that hCG hormone kicks off immediately after conceiving, you need to go for a pregnancy test as soon as you miss your monthly period. While some experts say that the test can be taken a day after missing the usual menstrual cycle, many recommend that you wait at least for a week. The waiting allows for more levels of hCG hormone to build up in your blood and urine, thus calling for confirmed results.
Click here to view an enlarged version of this infographic.
Steps To Do An Accurate Urine Test For Pregnancy:
Here is a list of simple steps that you have to follow while doing a urine test for pregnancy at home. These will ensure that the test proves to be effective to determine your pregnancy.
1. Check The Expiration Date:
If you are planning to take a home pregnancy urine test, checking for the expiry date is an absolute must.
- The newer the pregnancy kit the better the results.
- Make sure that you purchase the product keeping in mind the date of manufacture, expiration, presentation of the box (check for the open seal, wear and tear, etc.), in order to pick the right one.
- If you have stocked up a pregnancy kit months before, please throw it away. It is always recommended to use the fresh piece.
2. Test In The Morning:
Going for a morning urine pregnancy test (first thing in the morning) helps you get the most effective reading.
- This is because your urine is the most concentrated in the morning with highest levels of hCG.
- Taking a pregnancy test in this timeline never gives false implications.
- So whenever you are ready, do the test in the morning.
3. Read The Instructions Carefully:
It is always better to go through the instructions overleaf before carrying out the test.
- Different brands have varied specifications, and you need to understand the one you are about to use.
- Factors such as method of collecting the urine, the length of the time you need to let the urine stay on the test stick and the symbols used to prove the results could be different for each brand.
4. Familiarize Yourself With The Symbols:
You have to know the symbols listed on your pack to understand the reading better.
- If you are unable to decipher what the symbols mean while showing the results, do not panic.
- Call the toll free number listed behind the pack or inside the leaf to clarify your doubts.