Are you expecting twins? Are you doubly worried about your pregnancy weight gain? Well, if you can relate to the above situations reading this post may be a good idea!
One has to be careful while continuing with the daily exercise routine when pregnant. Exercising becomes all the more cumbersome if you are expecting twins. So all you ladies who are having twin pregnancy do you want to know the safe exercises for you? Fret not! Read if it safe to exercise while pregnant with twins and what exercises are safe!
Challenges Of A Twin Pregnancy:
- The body releases the pregnancy hormones in a large amount.
- Due to the space requirement to accommodate two babies, the uterus grows larger than that in a singular pregnancy. Due to this you are prone to a lot more aches, twitches, and pulls.
- Since you are carrying two babies in your womb, thus the strain on your lower body increases and you might find it uncomfortable to sit on a mat or to lie on your back.
- Not only this, but an ex
Is It Safe To Exercise While Pregnant With Twins?
Doctors usually encourage pregnant women to practice prenatal exercises regularly. However, if you are pregnant with twins, it is always good to refrain from any cardiovascular or aerobic exercise as it might cause health complications. But, you can always maintain an active lifestyle and ask your gynecologist to suggest some simple exercises or a yoga routine if you have twin pregnancy. Please do not go ahead and hit the gym without consulting your doctor.
[ Read: Stretching Exercises For Pregnant Women ]
What Precautions To Take While Doing Exercise During Twin Pregnancy?
While choosing your exercise routine during a twin pregnancy, do keep in mind the effects it can have on your babies.
- Go for activities that are moderate and do not have any ill effects on your body.
- Refrain from performing exercises that increase your body temperature drastically.
- Avoid any exercise that may strain your cervix.
Some Safe Exercises During Twin Pregnancy:
Here are a few exercises you can try while expecting twins:
Walking is the simplest and best way to remain active and energetic during those special nine months. Going for a walk in the garden will also help lift your spirits and beat the pregnancy blues. Walking every day for 30 minutes will also help you keep your pregnancy weight gain in check.
[ Read: Benefits Of Walking During Pregnancy ]
Swimming helps in strengthening back and abdominal muscles. Backaches are synonymous with pregnancy, but swimming can help keep your back woes at bay. Going for a short swim can also help you relax and rejuvenate.
3. Prenatal Yoga:
Yoga is yet another safe and holistic workout you can try while you are pregnant. It helps increase the flexibility of muscles and also induces a calming effect on your mind. But, ladies strictly avoid performing asanas like Sarvangasana, Viparit Karni, Mayurasana, Bakasana, Shirshasana and Halasana that involve handstands or headstands during pregnancy.
Bhujangasana, Shalabhasan, Dhanurasan, Naukasan, and Matsyasan are some backbend poses that are a strict no-no during a twin pregnancy. Bikram yoga that causes a sudden increase in the body temperature is also avoidable during a twin pregnancy. Also, refrain from trying squats like Parivarta Trikonasana and twists like Vakrasana, Ardhamatsyendrasana. Cross-legged and one-legged poses too are unsafe for pregnant women expecting twins.
[ Read: Yoga Poses To Avoid During Pregnancy ]
Now you know all about exercising while pregnant with twins. Why wait? Go ahead and enlighten other moms.
Did you give birth to twins? What fitness regimen did you follow while expecting? Please share your experiences and advice with us on exercise when pregnant with twins here.
- Is It Safe To Practice Ashtanga Yoga During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Run/Jog During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Swim During Pregnancy?
- 5 Simple Kegel Exercises To Try Out During Pregnancy