Pregnancy is a crucial stage in a woman’s life, and the diet plays an important role in maintaining health during this stage. Some particular foods that are actually rich in nutrients may actually be harmful when consumed during pregnancy, and may also pose several health risks. It is therefore; best to weigh the pros and cons of consumption of some particular foods during pregnancy. Wondering whether the consumption of lemon water is safe during pregnancy? Here’s is our quick guide for you.
Benefits of Consuming Lemon Water during Pregnancy:
Lemon is known for its impressive vitamin C content, which makes it one of the best natural remedies when it comes to tackling conditions of the immune system. Lemon extracts are helpful during pregnancy. Apart from being helpful in curbing nausea and vomiting, lemon water is actually helpful in tackling many other health conditions.
- Lemon water is a mild detoxification agent. It helps reduce bacterial growth and stimulates the live
- Lemon is packed with substances that lower blood pressure. So, lemon water is actually a wonderful tonic during pregnancy, especially for women affected by hypertension.
- Lemon is believed to help stimulate digestion. Consumption of lemon water through pregnancy keeps the body hydrated and nourished, and makes evacuation of the bowels less strenuous by keeping constipation (which is common during pregnancy) at bay.
- Lemon is also a rich source of calcium and magnesium, both of which are important when it comes to improving bone health.
[ Read: Benefits Of Calcium During Pregnancy ]
- Lemon is thought to boost immunity, thanks to its impressive vitamin C content. Drinking lemon water during pregnancy could help you keep seasonal cold and flu at bay.
- Lemon water is also thought to be helpful in preventing heat strokes and reducing body heat.
- It is also believed that lemon water could be helpful in reducing blood cholesterol levels by preventing constipation and therefore easing the expulsion of toxins from the body.
A Word of Caution:
While lemon water has a wide range of health benefits associated with its consumption, there are some points that need to be taken care of, especially when you’re about to consume it during your pregnancy period.
- Eating lemons, sucking or simply sniffing them may prove to be useful as they help to ease your morning sickness. But if your queasiness and nausea feeling seems to be severe, do not just rely on lemons. You should check with your doctor about it.
- Many women suffer gastrointestinal discomfort and heartburn during pregnancy especially in the latter phase. The high acidity content in the lemon water will aggravate the symptoms. If you have any of these issues, you should avoid eating lemon and any kind of citrus foods.
- Make sure you gargle with fresh water after consuming lemon water. Lemon water is acidic in nature which tends to make the enamel of your teeth weaker, increasing your susceptibility to falling prey to dental problems. Also avoid consuming more amounts of lemon water to prevent this from occuring.
- Add lemon to tepid or room temperature water. Never drink ice-cold lemon water regularly, as it may induce cold and cough.
- It is best to have a talk with your general practitioner and rule out the possibility of any side effect after consumption of lemon water.
- It is also essential to rule out the risk of any drug interactions that may occur due to the consumption of store-bought or purchased lemon water during your pregnancy.
[ Read: How Much Water To Drink During Pregnancy ]
Bottom-line, lemon water is actually a great drink to be taken during your pregnancy – it keeps you hydrated, healthy (and less likely to puke for that matter). Always buy fresh lemons and squeeze the juice. Just make sure you stick to moderate quantities and seek medical advice whenever necessary.So lemon during pregnancy benefits you and your unborn child’s health.
Do share your valuable feedback in the comment section below.
- Is It Safe To Drink Hot Water During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Ghee During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Drink Coffee During Pregnancy?