Now that you have now come to a crucial and important stage in your life- everything you do, eat and even think has an impact on your body. As a soon-to-be-mom, you may be concerned about the many pregnancy myths making rounds, and your family will now be showering endless advices in an attempt to help you glide through your special period in a better way.
However, it is important to weigh your options when it comes to consuming any foods during pregnancy, now that you know that everything you eat has an impact on your baby.
Sesame Seeds during Pregnancy: Good or Bad?
You may have come across the belief that consumption of sesame seeds (called til in India) could be harmful for you and your baby. Well, good news- it’s all a myth. In olden days, it was believed that sesame seeds co
Health Benefits of Sesame during Pregnancy:
Is it safe to eat sesame seeds during pregnancy? Make sure you’re not allergic to sesame seeds, and you can easily consume them in moderate quantities during your pregnancy period! Here are the many health benefits of sesame seeds when consumed during pregnancy.
- Sesame seeds are rich in calcium, amino acids, proteins, vitamins B, C, E and even iron- all of which are extremely crucial minerals during pregnancy.
- Constipation is a common problem observed in expectant mothers. Sesame seeds are believed to be one of the best natural foods that could help tackle the issue. Adding some sesame seeds to your foods could help soften the stools and make excretion easier.
- Sesame seeds are packed with nutrients that boost health and immunity. Consuming sesame seeds during winter could keep you from being affected by cold and flu.
- Most women tend to fall short of calcium during pregnancy, and sesame seeds could actually be helpful in acting as a natural source of this vital mineral.
- Sesame seeds are believed to strengthen the teeth and prevent dental problems.
- Urination frequency during pregnancy increases. Sesame seeds are found to be helpful in normalizing urine output naturally.
- Sesame seeds are one of the best natural strength boosters. They strengthen the muscles and nerves, and make the body fit and energetic.
- Consumption of sesame seeds are believed to reduce mental weakness and stress and also delay ageing.
[ Read: Lemon Water During Pregnancy ]
Ways to Add Sesame to your Foods:
Now that you know how nutritionally rich sesame seeds are, here are some good ways to add them to your food without overdoing it:
- Prepare a quick sesame dip (also called tahini) and team it up with some fresh vegetable sticks for a quick snack.
- To your basic coriander and mint chutney, add some sesame seeds to increase its nutritive value.
- Another great idea is to prepare a til chutney and use it as an accompaniment with your everyday meals.
- Toasted sesame seeds work best as a garnish- use them in your gravies and noodle dishes to give your food a nutritive boost.
- Prepare til chikkis or ladoos (both Indian sweets) and store them as a power-packed dessert option.
If you’re still concerned about taking sesame seeds during early pregnancy, it is best to consult your doctor. Most physicians may suggest avoiding sesame during the first trimester of pregnancy, where the risk of pregnancy termination is the highest.
We hope this article helps you narrow your doubts regarding sesame seeds consumption. Do share your valuable feedback in the comment section below.
- Is It Safe To Have Artificial Sweeteners During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Drink Lemon Water During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Drink Hot Water During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Guava During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Consume Evening Primrose Oil During Pregnancy?