During pregnancy, women usually crave for their favorite food or go through the ritual of morning sickness. Few expectant mothers will be curious to buy clothes to their yet-to-be born baby. So one obvious question on most to-be mothers’ minds would be about the sex of the child.
Are you anxious to know if it’s a baby boy or girl? The only accurate way to actually find out the sex of your baby is by visiting the doctor. You can also indulge in some fun guessing games to know the gender of your baby.
Here are some of the ways on how to find baby gender during pregnancy:
- A prenatal test known as amniocentesis
- A sonogram
4 Known Methods Of Gender Prediction During Pregnancy:
The most accurate and authentic way to determine the sex of your child is through medical tests and an ultrasound. Here are some of the most effective medical methods on how to predict baby gender during pregnancy. These methods can be considered only after consulting your doctor:
Ultrasounds are the most common method used by doctors. Here are some of the benefits of undertaking an ultrasound:
- The machine allows the doctor to gauge how the baby is developing in addition to measuring the size of the baby.
- Certain measurements and date allow the doctor to determine the baby’s age.
- The ultrasound also helps the doctor recognize the labia or penis.
- This is the most effective when conducted after the 18th week of pregnancy.
[ Read: Ultrasound During Pregnancy ]
2. Genetic Testing:
Genetic testing is another full-proof way of determining the sex of the baby with accuracy. Here are some of the finer details that you should be aware of:
- This test is usually conducted during the nascent stages of your pregnancy. Usually in the first trimester when the baby has not yet fully formed in the womb.
- It should be noted that this particular method is not only conducted to determine the gender of the baby, but also to know if there are any problems with the baby’s development. Therefore, finding out the sex of the baby is an additional advantage.
- Most parents do not really want to know the sex of the baby as they want it to be a surprise. In that case, this test can be done to find out if your baby is healthy.
[ Read: Genetic Testing ]
3. In Vitro Fertilization:
In Vitro Fertilization is also another way to determine the gender prediction of baby during pregnancy. Here are some of the details that you should be mindful of when undergoing this particular test:
- This started in 1967 and makes full use of Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD).
- Through the PGD technique, the embryos which are produced through IVF can be used to test for sex chromosomes, various disorders that the baby may be susceptible to as well as to find out genetic variants.
- The PGD test involves taking a cell from the embryo, extracted from a group of around 8 cells. DNA is extracted from the analysis and if it matches the gender group that you want, it will only then be implanted in your womb.
- The PGD test has a 100% rate of success, especially where the sex chromosomes are concerned. Therefore, you can be assured of accurate results that could help you plan ahead.
- In fact, it is interesting to note that there have been registries for parents who want a baby girl rather than a boy, with the numbers standing at 90% and 70%, respectively.
- One of the main advantages of opting for PGD is to ensure that parents with genetic diseases are less likely to pass on the same to their yet-to-be born child.
- PGD is also a preferred option as it can help prevent the passing of diseases which are gender-specific, which are transferred on the X or Y chromosome. The procedure can be extremely expensive if you are on a limited budget and struggling with finances too.