Are you planning to introduce some new eating habits at home? Do you want your kids to go for something more nutritious and healthful? Then the paleo diet is what you should be looking at!
It is one of the best diet plans you can ever come across, and the benefits it offers to your kids are immense. Are you curious to know more about paleo diet for kids? Read on!
What Is A Paleo Diet?
A Paleo diet is thought to have existed right from the times of the early man, and is also sometimes known as the cave diet. It is a diet that mostly relies on vegetables, meat and fish and excludes any form of milk, dairy, sugar or cereals. It also asks you to completely give up on any type of processed foods.
The name Paleo is derived from the Paleolithic age, where early humans would only eat foods that were naturally available. Today, those who opt for the Paleo diet claim to eat the most natural foods they can get. Some of the most popular food items in the Paleo diet include grass fed
[ Read: Is Dieting Safe For Kids ]
Benefits Of Paleo Diet For Kids:
Is paleo safe for kids? Well, the debate on whether the Paleo diet is safe for kids and should kids be raised on it entirely is a raging topic. Most nutritionists and diet experts feel that exposing your kids to the Paleo diet will make them deficient in various nutrients. Those who are strong believers in the Paleo diet feel that it is fine for their kids to give up all that the diet asks them to avoid and still be healthy. 
Here are some arguments that Paleo followers have in favor of the diet for kids:
- The Paleo diet does not include any artificial sugars and sweets. It is a good way to help your kid cut down on candies, chocolates, colas and fizzy drinks.
- The Paleo diet is very high in protein and fiber which may or may not be a good thing for your kid.
- The colorful fruits and vegetables provide lots of vitamins and minerals for growing kids.
- The diet is also rich in omega 3 fatty acids as it is very important for brain development.
[ Read: Best Nutritious Foods For Kids ]
What You Can Eat:
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Fresh lean meats and fish
- Olive oil and coconut oil
- Nuts and seeds
What You Can’t Eat:
- Wheat or cereals
- Milk or dairy products like cheese, butter
- Potatoes – although it is sometimes allowed as a cheat food in the initial stages
- Refined vegetable oils
- Grains and legumes like beans and peanuts
- No packaged foods including packaged or canned meats and fish
[ Read: Ways To Get Kids To Eat More Vegetables ]
Paleo Diet Recipes For Kids:
If you do decide to introduce and encourage Paleo diet for children, here are a few recipes you can try:
1. School Bars:
You Will Need:
- 12 Mejdool dates – remove the pits manually
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 250 g almond butter or any other nut butter
- 2 tbsp. Cacao powder
- 1 cup flax meal
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips the dairy free ones
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Non-stick baking paper
- Blend the pitted dates in a food processor till it turns smooth and forms a ball.
- Add the almonds. Keep blending till the ball mixes completely with the almonds and becomes nutty.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and blend in the food processor again. It should form a thick crumbly kind of texture. Keep them a little chunky to help add to the flavor.
- Use non-stick baking paper to line a shallow bowl. Add the mixture into the bowl and make sure it looks like coarse bread crumbs.
- Spread the entire mix and press it down with your fingers. Cut them out in mini bars for your kids to eat.
[ Read: High Calorie Foods For Kids ]