Sunflower seeds have become nutritious and the most delicious snack in different corners of the world. Even though sunflower seeds look small, these are a powerhouse of nutrition and offer most of the additional nutrients necessary during pregnancy.
As a mother you must be concerned if sunflower seeds are good for your unborn child. It is thus important for you to know the role of such seeds in pregnancy.
Benefits Of Eating Sunflower Seeds During Pregnancy:
Numerous health benefits of sunflower seeds have made them a popular addition in pregnancy diets
- Sunflower seeds are rich in nearly 90% of vitamins, phytochemicals, protein, minerals, antioxidants and polyunsaturated fats.
- Vitamin E contained in sunflower seeds acts as an antioxidant and protects your body from damages caused by free radicals. It also protects you from blood clots in the vessels.
- Phosphorous and minerals found in the sunflower seed aid development of the bones of your unborn baby.
- High content of potassium helps regulating sodium balance in your body. This helps in keeping down the high blood pressure levels.
- Phytochemicals in the seeds improve your immune system that weakens during pregnancy to increase the ability of the body to accept the growing fetus.
[ Read: Nutrition During Pregnancy ]
Sunflower Seeds And Folic Acid:
Sunflower seeds are rich source of folate and different minerals like iron, calcium, zinc, selenium and copper.
- Folic acid in sunflower seeds helps in the formation of red blood cells and carries oxygen from the lungs to the different parts of your body.
- Since your daily folic acid requirement increases in pregnancy, sunflower seeds can be a great addition to your diet.
- Lack of folic acid triggers different problems like developmental disorders in your growing child.
[ Read: Folic Acid During Pregnancy ]
Useful Serving Tips:
You can easily incorporate sunflower seeds to your daily diet. Here are some interesting serving tips:
- Enjoy salted or roasted seeds as a choice of a healthy snack.
- To get a crunchy taste in your salads, you can sprinkle some roasted sunflower seeds and enjoy a new taste.
- Roast the seeds with cakes, muffins, candies or chocolates.
- Grind the seeds into powder and mix with your favorite pancake or morning oatmeal
- If you are allergic to peanuts, look for sunflower seeds that are sold as sunflower butter.
- You can add the seeds to steamed mushrooms and squash to prepare a side dish.
- Mix the seeds with tomatoes, peas, carrots and peppers in a chicken broth and take it with rice or pasta.
[ Read: Tomato During Pregnancy ]
Risks Of Eating Sunflower Seeds While Pregnant:
Sunflower seeds are rich in nutrients that can pose health risks in pregnancy when consumed in excess. Here are some of the risk factors that you should be careful of:
- Consumption of high amounts of sunflower seeds can lead to phosphorous toxicity that may lead to kidney damage and non skeletal issues.
- You might suffer from selenium toxicity that leads to symptoms like selenosis. Irritability and fatigued body are common symptoms in this case.
- Too much of sunflower seeds can also result in skin outbreaks and make your hair and nails brittle.
[ Read: Sesame Seeds During Pregnancy ]
- Key to a healthy baby is good nutrition in pregnancy. A balanced diet packed with nutrition is the best way to head for a healthy and happy pregnancy.
- Ask your doctor if you can take sunflower seeds daily. If you get a green signal from him, you can safely consume it in moderation every day.
Mothers, do let us know the interesting recipes you tried with sunflower seeds in pregnancy in the comment section below. Happy snacking!
Reference : 1
- Is It Safe To Eat Flax Seeds During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Peanuts During Pregnancy?
- Top 10 Nutritional Foods To Eat During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Eat Sprouts During Pregnancy?