If there is one common ailment that causes equal amount of discomfort and irritability each time, it has to be cold. Cold is one of the most troublesome ailments to deal with. Running nose, sneezing, headache and body ache are common problems that we face during cold.
Any person suffering from cold finds it tough to cope up. But if you are a nursing mother, cold makes it downright difficult. You may be confused whether breastfeeding is safe during cold or not and other similar queries. So here is everything you want to know about breastfeeding with cold.
Is Breastfeeding While Having A Cold Safe?
Under most of the circumstances, breastfeeding with a cold is absolutely safe, unless your doctor advises otherwise.
- A lot of mothers stop breastfeeding their babies once they catch a cold. But not many of them know that they have exposed their baby to cold a day before they themselves notice visible signs.
- While you pass on the illness to your baby, you also pass on the antib
[ Read: Can I Drink Coffee During Breastfeeding ]
How Do I Cure Cold During Breastfeeding?
It is most likely that the cold will cure by itself without needing any specific medication. You may also experience a little hay fever during cold. But again it is not something to worry about and you may continue breastfeeding your baby.
While you are suffering from cold during breast feeding, remember:
- Drink lots and lots of fluids.
- Rest as much as you can. It is best advised to sleep when your baby does.
- Maintain your cycle of three meals and three snacks at regular intervals.
- On most occasions, cold takes about 6-7 days in all to cure completely.
- It may peak on the 4th or 5th day.
- It will gradually subside by the time you touch 6th or 7th day.
[ Read: Flu And Breastfeeding ]
When To Opt For Medications?
If you notice that your fever hasn’t subsided even after the 3rd and 4th day, you may consult your doctor for the same at the earliest.
- Don’t worry, it is perfectly alright to take medicines for cold during breastfeeding but you must do this only under your doctor’s supervision.
- Always inform the doctor that you are breastfeeding.
- A lot of illnesses can be treated with medicines while you are breastfeeding and cold is one of them.
- Read carefully about the active ingredients in the medicine individually.
- Most cold medicines have combined ingredients that are used to treat other ailments too.
- You must research and consult your doctor and only then consider taking these medicines.
- A small amount of medicines is passed onto your baby while breastfeeding but that is considered safe (only when the doctor suggests so).
- Read dosage instructions very carefully and follow them seriously.
[ Read: Drinking Alcohol During Breastfeeding ]
What If Non-compatible Breastfeeding Medicine Is The Only Option?
If your cold is in a state that can only be cured with medicines that aren’t safe during breastfeeding, here is what you can do:
- Pump and store breast milk to feed your baby while you are on medicines.
- While you are on medication, you must take care to not let your milk supply go down. So pump and dump your milk while you are being treated with medicines.
- You can ask someone else feed the stored breastfeed to your baby until you recover fully.
- You can also feed formula milk to your baby in the meantime, but only if the doctor recommends so.
You can also try these remedies for curing cold harmlessly:
- Neti Pot
- Green Tea
- Chicken Soup
Remember, resting, drinking lots of fluids and water is the secret to recovering faster. As a breastfeeding mother you must stay well-hydrated while you are under medication and otherwise too.
If by any chance, your baby too catches cold, do not panic. It is only natural and will cure in time. The good news is that babies who are breast-fed recover faster from such ailments. So focus on healthy living and food habits and bring up a healthy child.
We hope this post served your purpose and helped you clear your doubts. Please leave us your comments below and share your feedback.
Reference : 1
- 5 Serious Side Effects Of Caffeine While Breast-Feeding
- Is It Safe To Wear A Bra While Breastfeeding?
- 6 Benefits Of Breastfeeding While Having Diabetes
- Is It Safe For A Breastfeeding Mom To Eat Honey?