Are you eager to know how your little one will look? We are sure you indeed are. You can easily know about this beautiful aspect of your growing baby. How? Through eye color predictors and calculators.
While there are technologies in ultrasound – which show the facial contours of the child in the womb – it does not reveal the color of the eyes. But you can use baby eye color predictors and calculators for this purpose.
How Does Baby Eye Color Predictor Work?
There are several eye color predictors and calculators available on the internet. The calculator may be in the form of a graphical presentation or may have a quiz to get the required information.
- These apps take into account factors like color of your eyes and that of your partner. Some of them may also consider the eye color of grandparents on both sides.
- While some calculators offer only solid colors as options, others let you adjust the shade on a color bar.
- By making proper computations, they reveal the eye color that
What Determines Baby’s Eye Color?
The color of your baby’s eyes depends on genetic factors, as well as presence of a certain pigment called melanin. Eye color can be heterogeneous or homogeneous, meaning that there can be one uniform shade or a mix of colors in the eyes.
- There is a dominant gene (mostly brown) and two repressive genes (green and blue).
- The interplay of these genes determines the eye shade that your baby will have.
- The melanin, whose level is determined by the oculocutaneous albinism II (OCA2) gene, is present in the iris and is inactive at birth.
- It gets activated when it comes in contact with light and then the process of darkening of color starts.
- It is often observed that babies with fair skin have blue or gray eyes.
- Likewise, babies with dark skin have dark brown eyes.
Changing Color Of Eyes:
Eye color of babies is a polygenic trait, meaning that the eye color of parents plays the most important role. Interestingly, the color of eyes does not remain the same as at birth.
- During birth, the color of eyes is light, since new born babies do not have active melanin which darkens the cells.
- Once your baby is 6months old, the eye color begins to change.
- Gradually, the eye color takes on a different shade as per the genetic inheritance. Such change starts around the age of six months.
- By the age of three, kids have a definite eye color, which does not change further.
- While most African and Asian babies are born with brown eyes, Caucasian babies may have grey or blue eyes. The color changes as they grow.
Eye Color Based On Ethnicity:
The color of eyes, as in the color of skin, differs widely between people of various ethnic origins. Here are some shades and the regions they are found in:
- Dark Brown/ Black:
It is most common in East and Southeast Asia, as well as Africa.
- Light Brown:
Such eyes can be found in south and west Asia, as well as Southern Europe.
- Green/ Blue:
For people in America and some parts of Europe, these are the most common shades.
- Hazel/ Grey:
People belonging to West Asia and America sometimes have these eye colors.
Eye colors that are less common are green and amber. People with such eyes have a slight hint of the pigment lipochrome in the iris. Hence, it is easy to predict the eye color for babies belonging to Asian races, while it is tough for children with American parents.
There are cases when babies are born with one eye as brown and another eye as blue. It is because of a medical condition called Waardenburg syndrome. However, this is a rare genetic disorder. In such cases, it is essential that you consult an ophthalmologist.
Studies are going on to find accurate reasons behind the changes in eye color of a newborn.
Choosing The Right Calculator App:
A number of websites have eye color detector or calculators and it is completely your choice as to which one you want to use. You can give a online search and the ones that come up in the top three are usually the most popular. Most of the predictors come out with same results if the information entered is consistent.
Mothers, we hope the article helps you determine the color of your baby. Do let us know if the predictions come true.
Citations : 1 , 2 , 3
- How Does Your Child’s Brain Develop And What Can You Do To Nurture It?
- 6 Simple Tips To Nurture Faster Baby Boy Growth
- How To Monitor Infant Vision Development?
- 7 Essential Tips To Follow For Your Baby’s Food Chart