If you are thinking of the options you have when it comes to introducing first foods to your baby, apple can be an ideal choice. Apples are not only easy to digest; they are also a storehouse of all vital nutrients. You can make apple purees for your little one and add your breast milk to get the desired consistency.
However, before you start giving apples, make sure your baby is at least six months old and showing signs that he or she is ready for solids and cereals. In case you have any queries or questions, double check with your doctor before introducing this wonder fruit.
An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctor Away:
Well, apple is a wonder fruit that offers the perfect combination of vital nutrients and a rich taste. Apple is considered one of the best starter fruit that you can consider for your baby.
- Apples are rich in antioxidants and thus take good care of the heart of your little angel.
- These are also rich sources of vitamin C, that keeps his immune system in good health.
- Apple purees can be mixed with cereals and some vegetables to add to the nutrition.
[ Read: How To Introduce Solid Food ]
Apple And Apple Juice For Your Baby:
You can start giving apple and apple juice to your baby after the sixth month, but as it is new to him, remember to do so in small amounts. It is always best to give him fresh and homemade apple juice. If you choose store bought apple juice, make sure you buy ones that are labeled as 100% juice. Do not buy the ones that have artificial sweeteners or added flavors.
When your baby is six months old, you can give him about four ounces of juice on a daily basis, but not more. You can also dilute it with water before offering it to your baby. During the first few weeks when you introduce the juice in place your breast milk, make sure it does not take away the feed time. Your baby still needs the nutrition from breast milk, and apple juice cannot replace the nutritional content of the same (1).
Ingredients Needed To Prepare Pureed Apples For Babies:
You do not have to ransack your kitchen to make this simple puree. You just need some simple supplies and prepare fresh puree for your little one. Have a look at what you require:
- A small steamer
- Food processor
- Storage containers
[ Read: Carrot Puree For Babies ]
Instructions On How To Make Apple Puree For Babies:
The recipe is pretty simple.
- Take 3 apples and wash them using clean water. Some apples tend to be acidic in nature. Look for the low-acid varieties that will be easier on his tummy.
- Dice the apple into small cubes before steaming and remove the skins.
- Place a big pan over low heat and place the diced apples in it. Pour over the water to completely cover the apples. Make sure the heat is not too high and keep it on low to medium.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let it cook on simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove the lid and see if the apples are completely tender. You should be able to insert a knife easily through the apple pieces, just the way you can insert it in a butter stick.
- Once you feel the apples are cooked, turn off heat and remove the apples from the heat. Carefully take out the apples and place it in a baby-proof bowl. Use a big spoon to mash the apples completely. As you do so, it will retain some of its juiciness and wateriness.
Tada! Yummy apple puree is ready. Let it cool down to room temperature before serving it to your baby.
Once your baby gets used to eating a cooked apple, you can also add other foods to the same. Make sure you give your baby adequate time to adjust to one new food before introducing another. Here are some other options that you can add to the cooked apple:
- Ground cinnamon
- Sweet potato
- Cooked pear
- Honey – once your baby is a year old
Easy Apple And Apple Juice Recipes For Your Baby:
Here are some easy recipes that you can make at home with apple and apple juice:
1. Baby Apple Sauce:
You Will Need:
- Fresh peeled and chopped apples
- Add the water in a pan and place it over high heat. Add the apple pieces and cook them until they turn tender. Once they are soft, drain them and run them under cold water. Doing so will stop the further cooking process. Do not throw away the water in which you boiled the apples. You can use it in the same recipe or use it later to prepare some other baby food.
- Add the apple pieces in a food processor and blend well to get a soft and smooth consistency. If you feel the apple is getting a little dry, use the boiled water in which you boiled the apples.
- If your baby likes a rough texture, you can mash the boiled apples with the back of a big spoon instead of making them into a puree.
2. Apple Puree With Sweet Potato:
You Will Need:
- Fresh peeled and chopped apples
- Fresh peeled and chopped sweet potato
- Add the water in a pan and place it on high heat. As it starts to heat up, add the apple pieces and the sweet potato pieces. Cook them till they turn tender. Do not throw away the water in which you boiled the apples and the sweet potato. You can use it in the same recipe or use it later to prepare some other baby food.
- Add the sweet potato and the apple pieces in a food processor. Blend them well to get a soft and smooth consistency. If you feel the sweet potato or the apple pieces are getting a little dry, add some of the boiled water.
- If your baby prefers a rough texture, you can mash the boiled sweet potatoes and the boiled apples with the back of a big spoon instead and feed it to him.
While you make purees at home, you will certainly want them to retain the same nutritive value and freshness when you store them away. Here are some essential tips on how to store apple puree for babies:
- Store the apple puree in an airtight container.
- You can keep it refrigerated for 3 days.
- You can put the puree on ice trays and let it freeze.
- The frozen ones remain fresh for a month.
- The trays must be kept inside freezer bags and sealed tightly.
[ Read: How To Make Banana Puree For Baby ]
Points To Remember:
Since you want nothing but the best for your baby, here are some vital considerations that are worth remembering. Take a look:
- You must take care of the hygienic and cleanliness standards. Wash your hands, ensure the utensils to be used are clean and wash the apples thoroughly.
- Do not serve purees to your baby that is too old.
- It is not a very good idea to store leftover puree. Left over foods result in transfer of bacteria from the mouth or spoon to the food. It is better to discard it.
- Do not worry if your baby refuses to take the puree. Keep on trying till he finally starts liking it.
[ Read: Beets For Babies ]
We hope this article has clarified all your doubts whether you can give homemade apple puree for baby. Now that your baby is slowly moving from liquids to solids, purees made from fresh and healthy apples, is one of the best choices that you can make.
Moms, share with us how you made apple yummy purees and what you did to alter the taste at times in the comment section below. Let others benefit from your ideas!
- 7 Yummy Fruit Purees For Your Baby
- 6 Health Benefits Of Raisins For Your Baby
- 11 Simple Steps To Prepare Carrot Puree For Your Baby
- 5 Easy Steps To Prepare Banana Puree For Your Baby