When it comes to preparing food for your baby, the smoother the better. If your baby has just started taking solids, barley is a perfect food!
Homemade barley baby cereal is considered extremely nutritious. Many pediatricians suggest giving rice cereals first, however; you can start barley shortly after in case your baby cannot tolerate rice.
While barley can be made into cereal, you can also add it to stews, soups and into pureed pilaf. You can easily blend barley with soups to get the desired consistency and let your baby enjoy the wholesome goodness. When your baby moves to cooked pearled barley, you can try finger foods.
Goodness Of Barley:
You can introduce barley in your baby’s diet when she is around 4 to 6 months old. It can be digested easily and causes no allergies. Barley is a rich source of the following:
[ Read: Breakfast Recipes For Babies ]
How Barley Benefits Your Baby?
Barley is a very good source of soluble as well as insoluble fiber that ensures overall good health of your baby.
Following are the benefits you can expect by offering barley to your baby:
- Digestion improves.
- Keeps her body free from toxins.
- Helps maintaining a healthy colon.
- Improves functioning of immune system and heart.
- Iron contained in barley improves blood volume and helps produce hemoglobin.
- Copper also helps in hemoglobin production in her body, as well as red blood cells.
[ Read: How To Introduce Solid Food ]
How To Cook Barley For Babies?
Want to know how to make barley cereal for baby at home? Well, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- For the homemade barley cereal you need to add 1/4 cup of barley powder in 1/2 cup water.
- Keep on whisking to avoid formation of lumps.
- You can add some peach or apple juice to it.
Yummy Barley Recipes For Babies:
Here are two interesting barley recipes that you can try and feed your baby:
1. Barley And Potato Balls:
Barley has a yummy and nutty flavor that is incredibly versatile and can be taken in different ways. To make barley and potato balls, here is how you should proceed:
- Soft pearled barley 1 cup
- Pinch of nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon
- Sweet potato
- You need to mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Make small balls or create plops to make finger foods.
[ Read: How To Make Apple Puree For Baby ]
2. Barley Salad:
You can offer barley salads to your baby when she turns 6 months. See how you can make this simple salad:
- Soft cooked barley
- Soft beef or chicken
- Soft peas
- Soft carrots cooked
- Take all the ingredients in a bowl and toss.
- You can serve it as a finger food with snack or meal.
[ Read: Grape Juice For Baby ]
Points To Remember:
Mothers generally prefer home cooked barley cereal. In case you are purchasing barley from stores, make sure they are pearled or hulled, as whole barley can be removed easily from hull. See to it the grain is powered well in a food processor or blender.
- Pearled barley cooks up fast, which is one of the biggest advantages associated with it.
- In case you are grounding your own barley, the natural oils will get rancid if you do not refrigerate.
- If you are buying whole grains, it is best to try smaller quantities in the beginning.
- Store them in airtight containers and preferably place them in a refrigerator.
Make sure you are not offering barley as the first food, if you have a family history of Celiac disease. Be very careful and consult with your doctor when planning to give barley for babies.
Moms, share with us how you introduced barley to your baby in the comment section below.
- 3 Amazing Benefits Of Arrowroot For Your Baby
- 10 Health Benefits Of Chickpeas For Babies
- 4 Health Benefits Of Buckwheat For Babies
- 5 Amazing Benefits Of Oranges For Babies