You have been feeding your baby only breast milk and formula solution all this time, and you are now considering giving her coconut water. Is this the scenario at your home? Then let us help you decide with all the necessary information about coconut water.
Well, coconuts are known to be highly beneficial for health because of the vital electrolytes, minerals and vitamins contained in it. It is also effective for treating urinary tract infections that are common among babies. Let’s shall have a closer look at coconut water and if your baby can benefit from it.
Is Coconut Water Safe For Babies?
Coconuts are often regarded as “wonder food” for their ability to treat conditions like cholera and gastrointestinal diseases. Plenty of studies have been done to ascertain the safety of coconut for babies. Here are some facts:
- Coconut water is generally considered safe. Water of the freshly cracked coconut can in fact act as sterilized saline water.
- It is best not to give coconu
[ Read: Benefits Of Kiwi For Baby ]
6 Health Benefits Of Coconut Water For Babies:
Coconut water is not very sweet and contains fewer calories with essential salts, vitamins and minerals. Here we shall take a detailed look into the benefits of giving coconut water to your baby:
1. Coconut water shall keep her hydrated during the hot summers particularly. It is considered the best way to beat the heat.
2. Coconut water helps cure gastrointestinal diseases like piles, diarrhea, dysentery, gastric ulcers and indigestion. You can also offer it to cure dyspepsia, vomiting and flatulence.
3. Coconut water can be used to treat cholera. Add 2 teaspoon of lime juice and little bit of salt with coconut water to get the right electrolyte balance. This is a highly cost effective solution to treat cholera.
[ Read: Benefits Of Grapefruit For Baby ]
4. Coconut water has antibacterial properties that can kill species in gram negative and gram positive categories.
5. Coconut water is highly effective in treating urinary tract infections. This water acts as diuretic and reduces the chances of infections. It is also effective in reducing kidney stones.
6. It is a good solution for bilious fever accompanied with vomiting and nausea. Make sure to offer it in small amounts and consult with your doctor if in doubt.
[ Read: Orange Juice For Babies ]
5 Important Considerations:
While coconut water has plenty of health benefits, here are some important considerations that you must keep in mind while offering coconut water for babies. Take a look below:
1. Make sure the coconut water you offer is fresh. It is best when taken from green fruit. If you like in a tropical country, you can easily find coconut water.
2. In case you purchase the commercially available coconut water pack, do check the manufacturing date and additives in the package before buying.
3. Coconut water is a natural saline solution that should be taken slowly. Your baby will not get the benefits if she gulps it down in a hurry! Make sure she sips it slowly.
4. Some babies can be allergic to coconut water. Be careful if your baby is developing any allergies.
[ Read: Grape Juice For Baby ]
5. Do not offer matured coconut flesh to your baby, as these are not suitable for your baby. A good alternative is the fresh flesh of green coconut, which is very light, transparent and easy to digest unlike the matured flesh and can be safely given to your baby.
If you are still not sure if it is safe to give coconut water for baby, have a word with your doctor. He or she shall be the right person to decide about the benefits and probable ill-effects of the water on your little wonder.
Moms, share with us if you offered coconut water to your baby and if you noticed any adverse effects, in the comment section below.
- 3 Amazing Benefits Of Arrowroot For Your Baby
- 10 Health Benefits Of Chickpeas For Babies
- 4 Health Benefits Of Buckwheat For Babies
- 5 Amazing Benefits Of Oranges For Babies
- 6 Simple Steps To Prepare Squash For Babies